Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Desperate times call for desperate measures

So Internet Date No. 1 is behind me.

 

It wasn’t too bad.

 

But first a little bit of background…

 

I had noticed, while surfing through the profiles of the men on the dating site, that most of the ones I liked lived in Cape Town… which is very weird, considering the ratio of women to straight men in that city – you would imagine that any vaguely decent boy would have been snatched up by the deprived women-folk yonks ago.

 

Anyway – I had been half-heartedly emailing a Capetonian – we’ll call him Rock Climber. He seemed nice enough, but was definitely not one of the guys I eagerly awaited responses from.

 

Then, last week he sent me a message saying that he was in Jozi for work and asked if I wanted to meet him for coffee that night. I only got the email at about 11pm because I had been at The Fugitive’s house – so I shrugged it off. He then emailed the next day asking if I was free again. I said I’d get back to him later… almost certain that I wouldn’t have the courage to meet him.

 

So later on in the evening, I logged into Facebook and saw that The Soldier had added new photos. Excited to take a look, I clicked on his profile and noticed the album was called ‘My new girl’. Clicked on it and looked at the photos of The Soldier out partying with two of the most unappealing women I’ve ever laid eyes on. My heart sank and incredulity washed over me.

 

Now I understand that with The Soldier a gazillion miles away – we’re both going to meet other people and forget about the little whirlwind interaction we shared – but for several reasons pertaining to The Soldier’s current situation which can’t be discussed here – this was very odd behaviour. *

 

And with that – I smsed Rock Climber and accepted his invitation.

 

We met up at Nelson Mandela Square, as it was one of the only places he knew in Jozi. He was already waiting when I got there and recognised him immediately (points awarded to Rock Climber for not loading a photo of someone else, or one that was taken 5 years ago). Completely pleasant looking, but not completely my taste – a little too clean cut I guess. Despite this, he had lovely kind eyes and a great smile.

 

Conversation was easy and flowing as we discussed travels, adventure sports and sex shows in Amsterdam.

 

At the end of the night, we were talking about my favourite restaurant in Jozi, Cranks and he said that we should go there the next time he’s in town **

 

Walked away feeling like I made a new friend more than anything else – although I didn’t smoke around him the entire night, which must mean I like him a little bit.

 

*The Soldier has since removed the album from his profile and has been sending me lots of long emails… I know I should cut off all contact and forget about him, but I can’t do it just yet.

 

** Rock Climber flew back to Cape Town the day after the date, but have had a couple of messages on Facebook since.

 
 

3 comments:

phillygirl said...

Wow, internet dating, I'm impressed ... and curious to see how things pan out for you & what weirdos you meet :) I'll be reading with interest!

Oh, and Yay for Cranks, the best Thai restaurant in Joburg!

The Divine Miss M said...

First time poster here but I have a theory as to why all the single Cape Town men aren't all snatched up - CT girls tend to be a up their own arses? No seriously I'm a CT girl and I have to say that I do not uphold many of my own ...

Good luck with the internet dating, any new friend is a good experience isn't it? I want to try the speed dating ...

Jam said...

@philly - I just love Cranks... I honestly think I could eat their thai green curry every day of my life and never get bored... and if I did get bored, I could just look around at the karma sutra barbies and be instantly entertained again.

@the divine miss m - welcome! And interesting that you said that about the CT girls, because that's exactly what Rock Climber said... and yes - speed dating is definitely on the cards for the very near future!