I was tagged by Phillygirl to do a list of 50 things about myself, so here goes...
1. I’m a dog person – especially the tiny, fluffy rat-like kind. Not really the Tinkerbell sort – but my heart turns into warm gooey melted chocolate at the sight of a Yorkshire Terrier.
2. I adore reality television, especially Bachelor-esque ones, I get indescribable joy at watching the claws come out and the snot en trane that accompanies it.
3. Until recently I was a serial monogamist. I went straight from one long term relationship into another until Italian Ex Boyfriend and I broke up and I stayed single for over year before meeting FD.
4. I’ve got a recipe book addiction. I hardly ever cook anything out of them but I love flipping through the pages.
5. I have an extra rib. I didn’t know about it until I put my neck out from sleeping in awkward positions in the bus on a Contiki tour. We had a chiropractor on the tour with us (pretty good luck that was) and when she popped my vertebra back in she pointed out that I had an extra rib where my neck meets my shoulder – apparently it’s pretty common. I still think it sounds pretty weird.
6. I don’t like spa treatments. Yet people always seem to think a spa voucher is the perfect gift – when Italian Ex Boyfriend gave me one for my birthday I knew the relationship was over.
7. I’m not particularly keen on chocolate. Every once in a blue moon I’ll have a craving but a tiny piece is enough to satisfy me for ages after that.
8. I adore epic, fantasy movies… Lord of the Rings, 300 – totally my cup of tea.
9. I’m also a total sci-fi geek. I have Season 1 – 3 of Battlestar Galactica on DVD. I blame my brother – he’s 10 years older than me so I was watching Star Wars from birth.
10. There are certain childhood experiences I completely missed out on. I never watched Mary Poppins, and I’ve never eaten Jungle Oats or Pro Nutro.
11. I don’t like weddings. I like the idea of marriage – but if eventually I could totally skip the wedding part and go on a magical honeymoon instead I’d be a happy camper.
12. It takes a lot to stress me out… no matter how much work demands of me, I’ll usually just switch off before I get stressed. Only strained relationships between friends, family and lovers stress me out.
13. I hate fleamarkets. As soon as I set a foot in one I want to run screaming for the exit.
14. I love musical theatre – I was raised on The Rocky Horror Picture Show and I have a total weakness for Andrew Lloyd Webber productions like Cats, Phantom of the Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar.
15. My family are Jewish – my immediate family (with the exception of my brother) are all non-practicing. I have no interest in it whatsoever. I’ve also never dated a Jewish boy and have no Jewish friends. My mother still has the Jewish insatiable need to feed people though. FD digs it.
16. I could eat sushi every day of my life and never get bored of it.
17. The same goes for most Asian cuisine – especially Thai and Chinese.
18. I want to love scuba diving but I just don’t. I can’t understand it because I love the ocean and have always been a water baby but there’s something about scuba diving that freaks the crap out of me.
19. I used to believe that I should expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when things go right. Now I always hope for the best and brave the disappointment when things don’t go as planned.
20. I adore making lists. I make lists for everything. It may be a way of procrastinating to avoid the actual task at hand, but it’s compulsive and out of my control.
21. If Ashton Kutcher lived in South Africa I would become a proper stalker – seriously, the restraining order kind.
22. I always reply to emails and hardly ever reply to smses.
23. I tend to forgive and forget far too easily.
24. I can spend vast amounts of time in my own company and never get bored. Having a much older brother meant that I needed to learn how to entertain myself as a child and I’m glad to have that skill later in life. Until I met FD I craved loads of alone time, but now I find I can still maintain my Zenlike-state with him around.
25. Along with rest of my generation as a result of the movie ‘It’ I have an irrational fear of clowns. I also have chiroptophobia, a fear of bats. I don’t understand their purpose in this world.
26. I’ve never bought lettuce from a green grocer in my entire life. The idea of picking it apart, washing it and possibly coming across a worm completely freaks me out. I will only buy it pre-washed in a packet from Woolworths.
27. I used to have a massive complex about my height – I’m about 5’3 which isn’t even excessively short compared with other women – but I used to refuse to wear flat shoes until about five years ago.
28. I can tap dance… I can also do modern and hip hop… pole dancing is next.
29. I have a small Taurus symbol tattooed onto my lower back.
30. My favourite indulgence has become freshly brewed imported coffee made with a plunger – usually brought to my bedside by FD.
31. I think I enjoy horror movies but I actually hate them. When ever I go and watch one I end up hiding behind my popcorn box the entire time.
32. I can’t have a room mate – when The Ron moved in for a couple of weeks I nearly killed him in cold blood.
33. I can play the guitar – an ex taught me the basics and after we broke up I carried on teaching myself. I can only play cheesy drunken sing along tunes but I love it.
34. I love watching rugby live or on TV. I don’t feel the same way about cricket.
35. I have a book where I write down all sentimental smses that I can’t bear to delete forever – I’ve been doing it for about five years now and its almost turned into a bit of a diary documenting relationships as they take their course.
36. I used to be a hoarder but now I’m a compulsive thrower-awayer… all sorts of vital documents have hit the bin since.
37. I don’t like cocktails. Except for mojitos. And pina coladas. And daquiris. And caparinhas. Okay, apparently I do like cocktails.
38. I think Elvis is fabulous. So is Oprah.
39. People used to say I spoke with a posh accent after I left high school as a result of my snooty private school education. Fortunately I now speak like the rest of the country.
40. I won’t eat game meat. I also won’t eat veal. I do, however, eat lamb. Apparently in my head baby cows don’t deserve to die but baby sheep do. I try not to think about it too much.
41. I haven’t smoked a cigarette in four and a half months. I still crave one every once in a while though.
42. I think gerbers are just the prettiest flowers in the world. And jasmine smells the best.
43. My maternal instinct hasn’t really kicked in yet. The only kid I really love is my nephew. I’m hoping when I eventually have my own something will kick into gear.
44. I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers are demi-gods.
45. I really wish I wasn’t fascinated by the Hollywood antics splashed across the pages of Heat magazine – but I am.
46. I can only read trashy novels when on holiday… either rubbishy chick lit or gruesome, nail biting crime thrillers.
47. I have two t-shirts with Madiba’s face on, another with a map of Africa and yet another with Jozi’s skyline – I wear my patriotism with pride.
48. I’m allergic to the nickel found in metal – which means I can’t wear jewellery unless it’s platinum or gold.
49. I’ll share anything, except popcorn in a movie.
50. I’m going to Mauritius next week – woohoo!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
4: you sound like my mom!
10: I'm with you on Mary Poppins...
19: sounds good to me
24: I used to be like this until my first long term relationship...
30: lucky girl!!
35: Wow. I should do that too..
2) Reality TV show is my bread and butter but it is dumbing down our world! I hate the crap!
4) I'm with you on this one :)
10) It is never too late to eat Pronutro - the chocolate rocks
16) Sushi is pure heaven. I could also live off of it
50) I hate you.
Seriously, I'm never going to get round to doing one of these!
@youmeher - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who missed out on the Mary Poppins thing - I was far too busy with Star Wars Return of the Jedi :)
@Miss M - Contestants astounding mental abilities certainly doesn't seem to tbe the main criteria in the selection process for reality programmes... but it's usually still better than Jerry Springer :)
interesting list!! i have to make one too but i haven't even tried, that is one long list!
you're going to mauritius... awesome!!!
Thanks sweets - it is a mission, and mine is simply a result of work avoidance :)
Star Wars Return of the Jedi? Oy. No, we didn't have a VCR player when I was growing up.
I'm only catching up now... What fun! I wonder if I would've appreciated it back then as much as I do now. You know?
1 - Dog people are the best!
6 - spa vouchers as gifts...they just show that absolutely no thought went into the gift. wanna pamper me? dont pay someone else to do it...
7 - i'm there with you. not that wild about chocolate either.
8 - i adore epic, fantasy novels...the longer the better. if there's a long series of them - i'm sold!
10 - i missed out on learning how to ride a bike and how to dive into a pool. cannot do these things.
13 - i like to think i like them, but quite honestly, i dont think i've ever bought anything from a flea market.
20 - i adore lists too. then usually forget them at home. i adore lists so much i started this particular 50 things tag game...
24 - there's nothing better than being alone. well at least there wasn't - until i met Luke, now i cant imagine being alone for long periods of time without him!
25 - i loved the novel 'It'. I have read it a million times. I'm not scared of clowns, i just hate circuses. cruelty to animals.
29. i have a red and green tree frog on the inside of my left hip. i got it from my mom for my 17th birthday.
39 - apparently i still have the posh accent after 6 years. fuckit. i love it.
43 - dont worry. it does. other people's babies freak me out. i love mine.
44 - there are no words for their hotness.
loved your list....now you have to tage the people who commented on yours.....(i'm immune, i started this craziness!)
Post a Comment