Ooops… sorry all – I’ve been appalling lately I know.
BUT – all is fine, more or less!
Things have been quite hectic and there have been a million ideas swirling around my head – but it didn’t seem like my blog was the right place to talk about it until I’d actually done something to change my situation. And it’s been pretty much ALL I’ve been thinking about for the past month, so while I didn’t want to blog about it, it was also the only thing I wanted to blog about – if that makes any sense at all.
However, I’m about to make that big step and feel like it’s okay to talk about it now.
I started my new job at the big fancy consumer mag – and…… I absolutely hated it. The whole experience threw me for a loop, because this had been my dream job, yet here I was doing it and despising every moment of it.
It got to the point where I’d find myself crying in the bathroom three or four times a day, and by the time I left the office at the end of the day I’d have a throbbing headache. I felt like I’d backed myself into a corner and was completely trapped. If I left after only a month – where would I go? I can’t try another consumer mag – because I have a feeling that the industry just isn’t for me. So where does that leave me?
After a lot of counselling from FD, my folks and C, I realised what hopefully the right choice will be. I’m resigning tomorrow morning and going freelance. A really scary step – but one I’m starting to get really excited to take. I’ve approached my old company and thankfully, the split there was really amicable, so they’re super eager to take me on as a regular freelancer – so much so that my ex boss and I are going for lunch tomorrow to discuss a lump sum they want to pay me to help out with the next edition of the mag.
I’m terrified to tell my new editors that I’m going – but at the end of the day I have to do what’ll make me happy and this job isn’t it. Hold thumbs for me that they aren’t going to completely lose it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Screw what the people think, you're not happy there so leaving is definitely the best thing!
Sounds like you have some great support there and I'm sure it is all going to turn out perfectly :)
eep, no wonder you haven't been posting! Well I guess the most positive thing to come out of it is you now know that what you thought was your dream job is, in fact, not. Now you can go find the thing that is :) Will be holding thumbs that you get all the freelance work you can cope with!
Oh, and it'd be fab to see you again :)
Hi
I came across your blog today. Haven't read much except this post. All I can say is, I had a similar experience, I found my "perfect" job, or atleast the one I thought was everything I'd always wanted and hated it in the first couple of weeks and everyone told me to give it some time...
Needless to say I didn't have the guts to call it quits b/c everyone thought I was crazy and I found myself crying every single morning and dreading going into the office.I even started doubting my own sanity!!To make this short
(ok, a bit too late for that)I've since decided to do what makes me happy,I quit my job(am now unemployed)and looking for something else, but have never been happier.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, do what's right for you b/c you're the one who has to live your life. p.s I really didn't mean for this to be this long, but I hope it helps.
@miss m - so far so good, it's all done and now I just have to put in my week's notice period!
@philly - thanks for the thumb holding, I think it's working because I got some really good news from my old company last friday
@anon - thanks for the comment. Sometimes I started questioning whether what I was going through was just symptomatic of starting a new job, because most people I speak to hate their first couple of weeks. But this felt like more than just that. I'm really happy with my decision now - life is too short to spend the bulk of every day being dreadfully unhappy.
woahhhh...
i am in awe!!!
No ways - how is it possible that things can be so similar with our working lives: I left trade for consumer thinking it was what I wanted and I hate it! But for me I know it is the working situation - my editor is a VERY difficult woman.
I'm now in the troubled position where I actually don't know what I want. I know I want a job where I am happy and feel like I could do it for some time. I've considered freelancing and I think that might be the route to go.
Good luck to you, your next venture sounds very exciting and I haven't met one journo who went freelance and regretted it - good for you!
Good for you! I'm doing my half day job and freelancing in the afternoon and LOVING it, and it sounds like your old employer knows they've got a good thing in you, so you're off to a good start.
All the best!
i think that's GREAT!!!! balls to the wall and all of that LOL... such a pity about the dream job being such a waste of your time tho... i've missed you!!! glad you're back :)
Wow hun, all I have to say is well done on having the balls to do what makes you happy, and good luck! x
can i entice you back with an award???
hello?!!!!!!
hope to see you sunday @ bloggirls lunch :)
you are wayyyyyyyy too quiet!!!
Post a Comment