Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The conversation that all men fear.

Last night I went out for dinner with The Fugitive, Kay and a couple of other boys and girls. After a few glasses of cheap red wine, the conversation somehow moved to that frightful subject… The type of discussion that leaves men in a cold-sweat, eyes frantically searching for the nearest exit, contemplating intentionally choking on the rosemary and feta focaccia just to escape to the heinousness of the subject at hand.

Marriage.

It’s amazing that so many women have planned out even the most insignificant detail of their future wedding, many without a significant other in any shape or form. Take The Fugitive for instance: Although she is dating the German Sailor – marriage isn’t currently under discussion. But she does know that she will be having a civil wedding in Germany, a church wedding in SA, a wedding dress that fades from white, to pink, to red, and bridesmaids in burgundy.

Another friend at the table (whose boyfriend was frantically wiping the sweat from his brow) had decided that she would be getting married in Plett and was starting to survey the rest of the table to determine who had holiday homes there to accommodate the guests.

What is it about marriage that makes lunatics of fully competent women?

I think it boils down to three things:

1. The fixation on marriage has a lot more to do with the wedding than marriage. Post-wedding depression is a major problem, with many women suddenly realising that the day they’ve been dreaming about since they were born is over…. And they are faced with the reality of their lives… as they will stay…. For ever and ever…… hectic!

2. Women start to panic when their friends start getting hitched one after another. They take a look at the calibre of the men their mates are marrying and think “Wow, he’s such a catch – damn! Now he’s taken and I’m going to be left with the dregs of society if I don’t act soon!”. Or they think “Wow – he’s such a moron! Now he’s taken.... if he’s taken can you imagine what kind of crap is still available… I better act soon!”

3. And of course… the old biological clock – so friggen unfair that men don’t have to worry about this. If women didn’t have to I reckon it would be a completely different ball game.

I still maintain that if I ever get married, it’ll be a drive-through ceremony in Vegas. With KFC… Britney Spears-style.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol So true, i was chatting to friends of mine who got married and while they were searching for a venue for their wedding they found one but the date had been booked by a women for her big day - the only snag was she didn't have a man yet. It was 6 months in advance !!!!

Its madness i tells ya !

Jam said...

gmk - welcome to my blog! And that story is insane... although an actual husband is really a minor detail.