Monday, July 9, 2007

The octopus a mint martini and Newtown kisses

What a weekend! For once it felt like it lasted forever and not because it was a bad one!

 

It kicked off with a mini after hours shopping spree with C, during which we managed to find t-shirts, emblazoned with ‘I’m not with the band’ – so we promptly each bought one to wear during Oppikoppi in August.

 

We then headed across to a little pub that has opened up across the road from my complex, which I’ve been just dying to try out. As soon as the door opened, we realised that this was one of those pubs for ‘regulars’. Everyone seemed to know one another, with the exception of the two of us.

 

We sat ourselves down and after a few minutes, a large, bald, extremely drunk man decided to plonk himself down at our table too. The man was bonkers…. Literally completely insane. He kept holding his wrist and whispering into it, as though there was some kind of radio transmission advice attached to it and he was feeding important information to intelligence agents. He then grabbed C’s scarf, stuck it on his head, letting the tassels fall over his forehead as he shouted out “I’m an octopus! I’m an octopus!” We promptly finished our drinks and left.

 

We then moved onto Doors in Edenvale. It used to be Italian Ex Boyfriend’s favourite spot so I went quite often during the course of that relationship. C had never been and I knew she would love it so I dragged her along. The music was sensational and we had an absolute ball.

 

Saturday was a chilled one and eventually headed over to Kay and Aye’s place for a couple of glasses of wine. From there we decided to go to Fuel, which usually isn’t my most favourite of establishments. There was a band, made up two boys probably in their early twenties, who played songs that sounded exactly like Erasure covers. It was the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen. I could only get a good view of the guy who was singing and playing the….. wait for it…. Synthesizer. He was going moggy in his skinny jeans and 80s bob.

 

The Game Ranger was also there. He’s been the target of a substantial amount of my spadework over the past few weeks. He’s the best friend and roommate of Aye’s boyfriend and he’s great to speak to… and also *shock horror*…. A decent guy. Weird. Ended up being the last two out of our group still at Fuel at around 2am and ended the night with snog on the Newtown pavement. Haven’t heard from him since though, which is a little concerning. We’ll just have to see what happens.

 

Sunday I headed off to the Food Show with Mr Spencer and C. We managed to enroll ourselves in Cocktail Making 101 taught by the incredibly gorgeous Liquid Chef instructor. Such fun!! We were throwing shakers and ice cubes around, and ended up with fabulous mojitos and mint and litchi martinis, which we quickly consumed. Since I wasn’t really fully over my drunkenness from the evening before, and hadn’t eaten since lunchtime the previous day, the Bacardi went straight to my head while my mates and I ran around Sandton looking for a cocktail-making set to buy. Ended up knocking over an entire display of cocktail shakers, leaving poor Mr Spencer to deal with the chaos in my wake.

 

What a weekend!!!

No comments: