So if you love someone – you should never try and change them. I’ve always been a big believer in this... trying to change someone you love calls into question whether you actually love them at all.
But I’m starting to find that it’s a little difficult to put into practice.
As I’ve voiced fairly excessively, I’m head over heels for FD. One of the reasons I’m nuts about him is his wild and adventurous ways. I’ve got my own Camel man and it’s quite fabulous. But he has this undeniably need to do incredibly crazy things. While the rest of the world scuba dives, FD free dives; while the rest of the world swims in rock pools, he’s diving head first off the bridge above it and while the rest of the world skydives, FD base jumps (not yet, but definitely on the cards).
He has huge dreams about summiting the world’s highest peaks – including one called Annapurna – where 1 out 3 mountaineers die in the process.
All of this is so much a part of him... but also leaves me feeling so unsettled – where does a little Sandton chick fit in with all of this?
On one hand it’s made me question my priorities, my attachments, all the things that I’ve thought were so important in my life and I’ve realised I don’t need most of it to be happy. But having said that – there’s no way I’ll be standing next to FD as he digs his snow cave for the night as we climb the world’s highest mountains. I’ll climb up a rock face at Hartebeespoort Dam once a week and I’ll even enjoy it, but that’s quite a different thing.
So where do we meet? I can’t change him, and he can’t change me... but will this eventually lead to one of us resenting the other as we compromise on what we want? I really hope not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i don't think you'll end up like that... embrace him for what he is and expect the same back, you two are a perfect match i think ;)
It could.... or it could make you both appreciate the opposites you love about each other - you his excess, and him your ability to keep things balanced. I actually think you can both learn alot from each and it will make for an even more rewarding relationship.
I agree with Sweets, so far you two sound like a match made in heaven.
Why change it? He pushes you to do things that you never thought you could possibly do and you probably ground him and make him realise that there are more important things in life.
How boring if you weren't completely different.
So good to have you back honey :)
Post a Comment