- Free stuff. It doesn’t happen that often, but it’s good when it does. (What does it say about my ethics that this is first on the list).
- Every day is completely different from the day before – new stories, new events, completely unpredictable.
- It’s one of those jobs that people seem interested in when you tell them what you do… much unlike the response elicited when one mentions they’re in real estate or finance, for example (and no offence to those that are).
- I’m not stuck behind a desk all day and I have a cute little laptop.
- On the odd occasion (very infrequently these days) I’m paid to go on holiday.
- I get to meet interesting people almost every day.
- I get a bunch of hits when I google my name.
- I’ve been given the opportunity to become a bit of an expert on a very niche subject – and can finally hold my own when chatting with people in the industry.
- The feeling of accomplishment when I’ve put an entire magazine together, from cover to cover – once the finished product lands on my desk.
- I get paid to write. That’s pretty cool.
Reasons why being a journo sucks… (and brace yourselves, this is a rant post)
- People blame the media for everything that’s gone wrong in the world.
- Deadlines…arrrgghhhhh!!!!
- Having to deal with public relations people who a) want to know when their stupid press release will be published and b) if they can approve the article before it goes to print.
- When you make a mistake… its usually pretty public.
- Having to deal with hundreds of people who don’t return calls or emails.
- Functions after hours that take me away from FD
- So much admin…. So much admin.
- Dealing with government…. arrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!
- Freelancers who think it’s okay to plagiarise, hand articles in late and lack creativity.
- I don’t get paid much to write, that’s not so cool.

6 comments:
I don't know, I think that the positives out weight the negatives :)
Your job sounds fantastic honey, be really thankful you get to do something day to day that you love!
YES YES YES - from a fellow journo I agree on all of your positives (okay I haven't managed any freebie holidays but I've had some awesome business trips). AND I TOTALLY agree with all your negatives.
Yes, Miss M is correct that we are lucky to be doing something we love but I also want to run away when people hear I'm a journalist and the response is: "You know what's wrong with you lot - you just make stories up." It's enough to make me want to scream!
I sometimes think that they think we're not human and that we won't take anything personally. I was involved in the redesign of a magazine and someone phoned and started hurling abuse at me because she didn't like the change... since when is this kind of behaviour okay? Thank goodness the positive feedback outweighed the negative feedback so I could let it roll off my back - but it's hard!
@Miss M - indeed they do, that's why I'm still here doing it. And a rant now and then helps.
@Benny - It's always reassuring to hear that other journos have the same frustrations and not just specific to one particular company or the focus of my B2B publication!
And yes... all those 'you just make things up' comments are soul destroying. And so offensive, because as journalists, we're trained to make sure we get the correct message across when we quote people.
Thank god for those who take the time to provide good feedback - it really makes the tough stuff easier to swallow.
I guess it's always great to know we're all facing similar struggles and frustrations. I have just left B2B for consumer. I found that B2B audiences are actually more ruthless and unforgiving so I defintiely feel your pain!
@benny - although I've never worked for a consumer mag - I think you're so right. I think it's something to do with them not perceiving B2B journos as real journalists.
well it looks to me like the good outweighs the bad, so i reckon you got it good- lol!
Post a Comment