Wednesday, May 7, 2008

27... hectic.

Yikes... another year older.

How on earth did that happen so quickly?? And most concerning of all... the dreaded ‘30’ is moving ever closer. I only have another two birthdays of twentiness before I'm over the hill.

Despite this, the birthday has been fab. It began with coffee and presents in bed from FD – followed by him cooking me breakfast. Got into my car to go to work and saw two envelopes stuffed under my windscreen wiper – cards from my parents who I’ll be seeing tonight for dinner. Found my desk at work heavily adorned with ‘Happy Birthday’ signs and birthday confetti. Got a pressie from some folks in the office, as well as an assortment of wicked baked goods.
But other than that, I’m keeping it a fairly sedate one, celebrating only with dinner tonight with the folks, FD, Aye and Kay once she arrives back from Cape Town.

So anyway... back to the point... another year older – and what has changed?
A LOT!

This time last year I was partying like a mad thing, still a smoker, planning a snowboarding trip to Tiffindell and about to embark on a silly fling with ol’ DJ – the man of zero self respect. I was pretty much perpetually swept up in a buzz of excitement and energy. On the other hand, I was partially longing for the security of a ‘significant other’ in my life and trying to fill the gap with an over reliance on my friends.

Now I’m a non-smoker (8 and ½ months and going strong), I’m hardly partying at all and not missing it too much to be honest. Unfortunately, along with that comes a certain amount of distance from beloved friends. As my dearest Aye and Kay prepare to leave SA indefinitely, I’m starting to realise the gaping hole that’s going to be left after they jet off. I wish I was planning to head off to Tiffindell in the next month or two, but I’ll survive this as FD and I are starting to look into a mega European snowboarding trip in December. And I don’t need to go into the relationship change that’s happened over the past year... I think I drone on quite enough about FD on this blog, so I’ll spare ya this time.

Things are going well... actually, they’re going fantastically well in all arenas. Despite this, I’m feeling a little bit unsettled. I feel like something needs to change. I was discussing this with Aye last night over drinks, and she says it’s not strange at all – even though things are going well, they’re almost too stable, and I’m craving a change so that I can grow. I think she’s probably right. On one hand I feel like a fool for craving the change instead of focusing on the things I’m being blessed with – but I just can’t help it. I’m craving that buzz... I need to head off into the unknown for a while – but there’s no doubt I want FD alongside me for the ride.

I need to do some serious thinking. And something has to change.

5 comments:

phillygirl said...

Happy Birthday :) Wow, yet another blogging-Taurus to add to the list!

Sounds like you really got spoilt. Enjoy the rest of your day :)

phillygirl said...

ps. if you don't check your mail often ... might i recommend you check out bloggirls :)

Sweets said...

oh my goodness 27?????????????
you are ancient!!!!!
ffs woman i'll be 37 in december... now THAT is depressing!!!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY BDAY!!!!!

The Divine Miss M said...

Happy birthday honey :)

May the following year be as diverse and wonderful as the previous year :)

Lopz said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like it's been a great year - good for you. I just turned 28.... you know what, you have to stop looking at it as one year older now, it's too depressing. Just think of it as one year wiser and more experienced!