It's virtually impossible to have a 20 minute conversation with someone without the words 'recession', 'economic slump' or 'hard time's coming up. This has led me to ponder all things money-related. To be truthful - I'm a bit of a money fool. My brain just switches off as soon as someone starts talking about investments or the stock exchange. I can't even handle reading my bank's website for more than a couple of minutes while trying to work out what type of savings or investment account I should open. I barely understand any of the terminology - and that's after FD and my dad have spent hours trying to explain it all to me.
Thankfully, despite my complete inability to compute all things financial, I don't have a cent of debt. Knowing what I'm capable of, I've never let myself own a credit card, which has helped me to steer clear of doing too much damage. I don't even believe in owning department store accounts - which has created all sorts of problems when trying to set up even my 3G account with my cellphone provider - with zero credit history to work from.
I came across this article on women24.com - the mistakes that women make when it comes to money and found it quite interesting. There are definitely some enormous generalisations here, but I can see quite a lot of truth in it too - what do you guys think? Do you think men are just born with more of an aptitude when it comes to cash, or is it something they learn as they go along? Or do you reckon the whole lot of it is a load of crap and that women are just as financially savvy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh I definitely think it's either something you've got or you don't ... I think it could be genetic or more likely the way you're brought up. I don't think it's at all male vs. female ... perhaps because I've been in relationships where I've been (by far!) the more financially savvy & stable! I think some guys have a problem where they are brought up with the notion that they are expected to be the providers and they end up buying it (house, car, the lot) to their detriment to try and prove something. And guys have just as many (and probably more expensive) frivilous buys ... all those gadgets they just have to have, even tho they all do the exact same thing! Haha.
Ps. bloggirls lunch on Saturday ... would be great to see you again ;)
I definitely agree that money management skills have a lot to do with the way you've been brought up - which could again play into the reason behind the male vs female thing because some families still believe that it's the male's job to be the bread winner - so a lot of time will go into coaching him, while the girls will be left in the dark.
And I definitely agree about men being loony when it comes to the frivilous buys - any new climbing gadget is always no. 1 on FD's 'must have' list.
Ps - so keen for bloggirls - I'm just going to try and convince FD that it's too rainy to climb this weekend and then I'm there!!!
i am SO reckless...! if its on me, or available in cash, i'll spend it!
I was going to write a whole long comment, but Phillygirl said everything so well already ;-)
Post a Comment