Friday, January 30, 2009

So you think you can dance?

A couple of weeks ago, caught up in the usual spirit of 'new beginnings' that grips the world for approximately 21 days following New Year's - I decided to give something a little bit 'out-there' a try. I decided it was time to start pole dancing.

Over the past year or so, pole dancing seems to have become a completely acceptable form of exercise for many a young Jo'burg lass - in fact, being young isn't even a requirement anymore. I'd heard many reports of just how fantastic it was for improving your 'core' (what ever that is, because every new exercise technique they've come out with over the past five years has apparently been amazing for cores).

Spurred on by a friend, who even at her most wild moments is about ten thousand times more conservative than the Queen - I decided to sign up for Pole dancing 101.

We arrived at the studio in Rivonia to find what looked like a normal dance studio, if you don't take the 10 poles into consideration. The teacher was already walking around with a fistful of cash getting money from slightly terrified looking newbies. She came up to me and for a mad moment I wondered whether I should hand the money to her or tuck it into her jeans as a really pathetic joke. Fortunately I opted for the former.

The teacher, who is apparently an ex stripper who's stripped at strip bars all over the world, then walking over to her iPod docking station - pressed play and proceeded to strip down to her g-string. I was glad to discover that this was only because she was changing into her shorts - and that none of us were actually expected to follow suit.

Then she began showing us the moves - step by step - slide your left hand up to the top of the pole... hook your right knee around it... bring your left knee up and slowly...very slowly... lower yourself to the ground while spinning around the pole... until you land gracefully on your knees... No problem.

Try and imagine Demi Moore in Strip Tease..... I was the exact OPPOSITE of that. Oh. My. God.

I think watching Schalk Burger pole dancing would probably have been sexier than what I was managing to achieve. It was carnage on the strip floor.

And what made it SO much worse was that everyone else was totally getting it! My friend, the Queen, was practically supporting herself with one toe while spinning around and tossing her hair about. It was devastating.

So like some of the other experiments from former years - like scuba diving, salsa dancing and internet dating - pole dancing is just another activity that's been canned without achieving anything other than a blog post - better than nothing I guess!

5 comments:

boldly benny said...

Ha ha ha! I loved this - it was a HOOT! If it makes you feel any better I am about as agile as a toddler learning to walk. I could never even try this because I would probably land face first in the floor!

phillygirl said...

Wahahahahaha. Now there is the MsMozi I have missed ;) I have also occasionally wondered if I should try this new-fangled form of exercise, but have now been sufficiently put off ... Well you're right, at least *you* tried it :)

MidniteGem said...

LOL - that is so funny!

I got to do it last year like that as a gym class for a hen party last year. It was SO random. I landed up with my entire inner thighs bruised (seriously the WHOLE inner thigh) and I twisted around that pole with my calf so much that I think I strained my calf muscle. It still gives me jip when climbing...and I get to chirp, oh yeah that is my old pole dancing injury !

Lopz said...

Ohhhh welcome back! Great post, but I must be deranged because it doesn't put me off, it makes me REALLY want to try it!

AngelConradie said...

LOL, i'd love to try it!