My oh my… how kak have I been at posting on my blog. I suppose this has something to do with writing for a living – and when I see one more blank page that needs to be filled with text it makes me break out in a cold sweat. Anyway… moving on… and what better way to start than with an analysis of a fabulous weekend.
Friday was a major girls' night. We had been planning it all week – a mix of friends from work and friends outside of work hitting Madhatters, of course. We arrived at about 9pm. I've never seen Madhatters that early and it was a strange experience… the dancefloor was clean, bars empty and the crowd 90% female. Unfortunately and fortunately this all changed.
C and I discovered that women get half price cocktails on a Friday night… fabulous! The music was frightening – Sing Hallelujah by Dr Alban and Up & Down by the Vega Boys. C and I decided to whip out the cheesiest moves on the dancefloor – this even included 'The Sprinkler'. Oddly enough this seemed to interest the surrounding boys endlessly – suddenly we were surrounded and they were clapping their hands in crazed enthusiasm… odd.
Eventually my completely impractical leopard print stilettos got the better of me and I had to head home by 2am.
The next morning I was up at 7am (shudder) to train some budding journos at the office. C and I managed to break the office's new R22 000 coffee machine within about 5 minutes. Oops.
Sunday was the highlight of the weekend. Our little adventure team – known as The Squad, headed off to Benoni for a day of sandboarding. There were 12 of us altogether and we had the most sensational day. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I'm not totally crap at sandboarding – managed to get all the way down without falling on my first go.
One of the things I love about Joburg is that you can take something as kak as a mine dump, and the Jozi-folk will turn it into something brilliant. The place was full of quadbikers doing their thing on the dune… and under the blue sky it felt like we were on the beach.
A couple of Squad injuries were inflicted including bruised legs, ripped pants, sprained necks and aching arms, but it was all worth it (probably because none of those things happened to me). Can't wait for the next adventure – probably abseiling… Go Squad!!!

2 comments:
you forgot to mention taking home about 10kgs of mine-dump sand which was trapped in body orifices - which ALWAYS happens after a good bum-fall whilst sandboarding
Welcome back Moze! Next time I want live coverage of the "sprinkler" and all related 80's dance phenomena!
Post a Comment