Friday, November 16, 2007

In these arms.... tonight.

There are two types of people in the world: Cuddlers and Non-Cuddlers.

I learnt during the course of my relationship with Italian Ex-Boyfriend that I’m a Non-Cuddler. Basically, what this meant was that I couldn’t fall asleep if any part of his body was touching mine. When I sleep, I need space to move around, I need to be able to scratch my nose if it’s itchy, I need to be able to sit up and take a sip of water. Italian Ex-Boyfriend was a Cuddler – but he eventually understood that he was allowed a maximum of 10 minutes of cuddle-time before I rolled over and went to sleep.


Since the demise of that relationship I’ve had a full year of my big queen-size bed all to myself. I’ve been able to toss and turn and kick off blankets with free abandon. It’s been fabulous.

But FD and I have recently entered the ‘sleep-over’ stage of our relationship and the bed is no longer solely my domain. And I’ve discovered that FD is a serious Cuddler. In past relationships I’ve noticed that most guys fall asleep with their girl in their arms, but during the course of the night gradually move over to the other side of the bed. Not FD – he hangs on for dear life the entire night.

The first night I stared at the ceiling for a solid couple of hours before eventually managing to drift off. The second night had been a bit of a bender and I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow and woke up in the morning in the exact same position with FD’s arms, once again, still securely fastened around me. This morning I woke up at about 5am dying of heat with FD pressed up against me, peacefully breathing away (thankgod not snoring). I felt like I couldn’t breathe and I couldn’t even try move away as I had about 1 inch of mattress left to work with. I decided that he might be mildly offended if I climbed out and ran around to the other side of the bed so I just had to lie there and pray for sleep which thankfully eventually came.

I’m not planning to re-institute the 10 minute cuddling rule, so I’m hoping if I just hang in there a little longer I’ll be converted into a Cuddler.

7 comments:

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

oi! welcome back chick.. know u been cack a while but i been mia so... :)

The Divine Miss M said...

I'm not a cuddler either :( I like cuddling for a bit (I like the 10 minute rule) but then I need to roll over and sleep. I usually wake up at the opposite side as far away from the person as possible. Thankfully no one has been insulted by this. I hate waking up and being locked in by someone. Maybe it is because I'm independent? Who knows. But I hate it!!!

Welcome back ;)

Sweets said...

his cuddling capabilities are quite astounding, really impressive stuff, i think i would suffocate... hope your conversion goes smoothly ;-)

Jam said...

@Cuteness – welcome back yourself – great to see you back in the blogging world!

@Miss M – Exactly the same as me – although I have had exes who have been offended by my tendency to move as far away from them as possible, one situation even led to a full-blown break up (although there were 1 or 2 other issues there). Therefore… Cuddle conversion is the only way forward for me now.

@Sweetass – I’m telling you – it’s record breaking stuff!

Lopz said...

My god, I don't think I have ever heard of a PERSON who can cuddle all night in one position, let alone a guy! You have something very special here... whether you should accept it and move forward or send him for study in a lab is your choice.

I've been with my boyfriend for 7 years, and right from the start we had an unwritten rule... shag, cuddle just enough to be decent, and then get the fuck away from each other so we can actually sleep. Sometimes we actually forgo cuddling altogether...we're just the posterkids for romance. ;-p

lordwiggly said...

Conversion to cuddler-status shouldn't take too long. You get used to it to the point where if things go south and your cuddle-mate isn't there any more, you will never quite find it so easy to drift off again.

This cuddling is a dangerous business.

Sweets said...

so what happened to you??? you still stuck in a vice~like~cuddle~grip in bed...???