What an incredible December break… still battling the brain mush factor from being at the coast for too long, but starting to get my eye in at work, and will probably be a fully functional Joburger by the end of the week.
Ended up embarking on a road trip for the past three weeks, some of it spontaneous, some of it planned – almost all of it fabulous.
It kicked off at 3am with plans to reach Cape Town before sunset. I hopped into FD’s corsa with his surfboard strapped disturbingly unsecurely (insecurely?) to the roof.

By 4pm we were in the Mother City. With no where to stay. Now I’ve mentioned before that FD is the free-spirited type – and I adore this about him – but being over 1 000km away from home without anywhere to sleep that night makes me a little panicky. I think he sensed this and he called up his best buddy (who ironically is hottie in this post) who organised us a bed for the night at his girlfriend’s spot. This bed also happened to be her bed, so I felt quite dreadfully guilty for taking over this stranger’s home, but FD was completely happy with the situation. I started to panic – I was set to join Kay in Plett in about a week’s time – but what were we going to do until then? Surely we couldn’t possibly squat in this poor girl’s bedroom until then?
Thankfully my prayers were answered and the next day, while soaking up the sun in Hout Bay we got a phone call from FD’s mom to say that their family’s holiday home in Pringle Bay, about an hour out of Cape Town, was free and open.

So a few moments later we had packed up, picked up Aye, and were en route to beautiful Pringle Bay.

Upon arrival we cracked open a bottle of wine and realised it was too late for dinner so went into the tiny town to find a bar where we could continue drinking instead. Started polishing off shooters, which we affectionately named ‘Khayaletsha Toilets’ and ended up getting completely broken, while FD tried to fight off the advances of Minnie – the 40 year old owner of…. wait for it….Pringle Bay Mini Mart.
Highlights from the first leg of the road trip included:
- The sighting of a completely hairless dog, clad in a Brazil t-shirt frolicking owner-less on the beach – only to discover that Aye had spotted the same dog a few days before, except he was wearing a grey vest.
- FD’s freshly caught crayfish on the braai dripping in garlic butter…mmmmm

- Rock climbing my first ever 16 – ‘Fifth Element’ in Kleinmond

- Lazing in the hammock (yes, that’s a sneaky look at my sexy FD on the hammock) gazing out at the paradise of Pringle

Stay tuned for Part II of the December road trip!

6 comments:
Sounds like a heavenly holiday. I wanted to tell all also, but there was just too much to tell! So I am weaving in bits an pieces as they come to me in my posts.
Have a good year!
welcome back!! sounds great... pringle bay looks stunning! ok FD on the hammock too... ;-)
Welcome back, your holiday sounds great! I'm ultra jealous of your climbing though :( We're going for a climbing weekend in Spain in March I think. It's too cold and wet here at the moment to climb. *sobs*
Welcome back girl! I adore Pringle Bay, many good holiday memories there. Hope the transition back to reality is smooth :-)
@bridget - heavenly as soon as I knew that I had a bed to sleep in for the first week - until then a little nightmare-ish!
@sweetass - lol, both are indeed, quite stunning :)
@miss m - brilliant - went for my first session at the climbing gym on the weekend and couldn't make it up a 15, so I think I'm going to need to do some serious training in the next few weeks to build up some strength again!
Which shoes do you have? Been trying to buy a pair but there are too many options!!!
@lopz - Thanks, my head is still on a secluded beach gazing at the waves but I'm sure the transition will happen soon enough!
I have Boreal velcro Joker shoes. They are really good. And a Petzl harness. My friend has Red Chilli shoes.
La Sportiva Cobra shoes are really good too. But it all depends on what fits the shape of your foot and is most comfortable for you!
I sat in the shop for a good hour trying on shoes trying to decide which one I liked the best - slow process but you end up with a really nice shoe :)
Post a Comment