So things didn't get off to a particularly good start. Arrived at OR Tambo filled with apprehension over the ridiculously late flight to
After the hours passed with much red wine, a motion sickness pill and conversation with my hosts, it was eventually time to board. I actually don’t remember anything at all from about 20 minutes after popping the motion sickness drugs until landing in
We landed at about 08h15, which was troubling as we had to make a connection to
After a short flight we landed at
The 45 minute drive to the Mombasa Serena took us through the town in our fabulously air-conditioned bus. Most of
I got to meet most of the rest of the journos (13 in the group in total) and on the way to my room walked past a total hottie, which left me hoping in some fantastic twist of fate, he’d be part of our group.
The room is beautiful, huge with a view of the ocean… if I can look past the pale overweight Germans in the way.
The group reconvened a few minutes later to do a hotel inspection and discovered that the hottie was indeed part of the group. The hotel inspection went on forever and ever and afterwards we sat down to a much needed lunch.
We had the rest of the afternoon to do our own thing so I opted for a swim in the warm, crystal-clear ocean and a snooze on a deck chair by the pool.
Then came dinner with some of the Serena big guns. Incredible – five courses of lobster, prawns, calamari steaks, darwas and red wine. Hottie was unfortunately way on the other side of the table. Afterwards we hit the main bar for coffee and a bit of a boogie which brings me up to this moment.
Tomorrow I’m hitting
Woohoo! Just finished watching the bokke annihilate the English. This was made sweeter by the presence of several pommies in the hotel. Love it.
Well another beautiful day dawned in
After lunch we moved onto the Mnarani hotel and enjoyed the 45min transfer along
The Mnarani isn’t quite the same standard as the Serena, but still extremely comfortable and affordable (if I was paying). It also has an enormous infinity pool overlooking the Kilifi lagoon.
We headed out on a dhow sunset cruise, sailing through Kilifi creek with the goosebump inducing cry of the fish eagle as our sound track.
At about halfway, I discovered the problem with
After docking and a hasty – virtually walking on water – dash to the loo, we sat down to a seafood braai on the beach, entertained by local acrobats and followed by sensational rugga.
That’s about it for today – tomorrow we’re venturing off to Malindi!
So it’s the final day of the trip and it’s been unbelievable. I wish I could stay for another week – three days is just far too short. I will be back though without a doubt.
Today after breakfast we headed off on a tour around the area. We started off at a deaf school for the local community. We then went to the falcon sanctuary which really didn’t impress me. They had these beautiful raptors tied to poles so that they couldn’t fly away. None were injured, so its obviously just a tourist ploy with no plans to reintroduce them into the wild.
We then drove on towards Malindi. En route we saw several cars stopped ahead of us and sea of people. Turns out there were two robbers shot dead by the police lying on the side of the road. Most of the people on the bus saw the actual bodies, both with bullet holes in the foreheads. I didn’t want to look. Apparently it’s quite normal for the Kenyan police to shoot suspected criminals execution style since they have so little faith in the judicial system.
We then saw a fairly crap craft market before visiting the Gedi Ruines. The ruines are what’s left of an 11th century city. Rumour has it that the entire civilization was wiped out in the 17th century by the Zimbi tribe of cannibals who literally ate their way through
After that it was finally time to return to the hotel. I just chilled out for the rest of the evening, ate dinner and watch Maasai dancers.
So it’s almost time to say goodbye to beautiful
So

No comments:
Post a Comment