Tuesday, July 1, 2008

So that big thing...

It’s happening.

This may be an anti-climax for some of you, but I’m changing jobs.

This is epically huge in my life for several reasons – a) The job I’m currently in is my first since finishing my studies and b) I’ve been doing it for three years.
Another reason this is a huge deal is that I’m making the leap from business 2 business to consumer publishing – working at a popular women’s lifestyle mag. So exciting!!!

The whole thing kinda snuck up on me. I saw the job advertised on bizcommunity a little while ago and decided to send in my cv, without really expecting anything to come out of it. So much so, that I didn’t even bother checking the email address I provided them with. A few days later I remember and logged on, only to see an email from the editor requesting I come in for an interview... sent three days prior to me actually seeing it!!

I freaked out and quickly emailed back and luckily they were still able to slot me in as the last interview the next day. It went okay – but didn’t come out feeling overly confident. I then had to do some writing for them and I spent days trying to come up with ideas and polishing it up before I submitted it. FD, C, my mom and dad all had to read through it a gazillion times making corrections and suggesting changes.

A day later I got another call from the editor asking me to come in for a second interview. This time I was seriously nervous and came out feeling like I had messed it up completely! I spent the next day checking my email and phone every 30 seconds – until it eventually rung and heard the editor’s voice saying that I had gotten the job.

I resigned from my job on Friday... and had a mixed bag of emotions – with some people taking it better than expected and others taking it much worse than expected. My young jedi burst into tears – I felt so guilty!

Now my managers are being a bit shady and definitely regarding me with contempt – but who cares – I’m going to be working at a fabulous magazine from August 1. It’s the change I’ve been longing for – woohoo!!!!!!!

11 comments:

phillygirl said...

That sounds like fantastic news, YAY for you :)

I made a similar move (in a completely different industry tho) and couldn't be happier after a month in my new job - made me wonder why it took me so long to get here!

Sweets said...

that's great!!!! changing jobs are so scary... but really worth it :)

AngelConradie said...

super terrific! thats so exciting!!!

MidniteGem said...

That is so awesome! congrats!!!!

Jam said...

Thanks for the congrats everyone - so excited and can't wait to make the move - in limbo at the moment!

boldly benny said...

Wooohooo, what great news! I recently moved from B2B to consumer for various reasons and while it has been a difficult transition I am glad I made the move.

AND... I might even know where you are moving to, publishing is such a small world ;-)

Jam said...

Wow Benny - I always considered myself the super-sleuth of the blogging world! But publishing is a very small world - and almost everyone I've told about the position seems to know the woman I'm replacing - I think I may have some big shoes to fill!

boldly benny said...

As I'm sure you know, being a journalist means you make it your business to be nosey ;-)

I THINK I know, I might be very wrong! But the most important thing... yay for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats MsMozi!! :)

Tamara said...

So happy for you! And everything Phillygirl said.

That's so exciting! WHere are you going, lady? Hmmm? Hmm? Are you going to let me use and abuse you as a contact? Kidding. Maybe.

All the best with getting through the last month at the B2B.

Lopz said...

Congrats honey, that's fantastic news!