Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Brrrrrrrrrrr

You know what... I’m actually impressed with the things I’ve become capable of doing since I’ve started FD. This past long weekend was a sterling example...
We spent the weekend camping in the freeeeeezing cold Free State town of Harrismith. We’re talking subzero temperatures here. Furthermore, the reason we were there was rock climbing.... These are both things I would never have dreamt of doing last year this time.

Despite this, we had a really good time. I insisted on schlepping along my king sized down duvet, as well as a thick and enormous camping mattress and a hot water bottle. I also bought myself huge fluffy boots for walking around the campsite in. Yes.... I live in Sandton.

Some of FD’s climbing friends were there too, so we ended up all braaing and drinking together into the night and climbing rocks together during the day. FD was completely in his element. Usually he suffers from what I refer to as a ‘grass is always greener’ affliction. Basically, what ever he’s doing, regardless of how much fun he’s having, he starts to imagine that the thing he didn’t decide to do would have been a much better option. This forces him to constantly question his choice of career, activities he does for fun, even where he’s sitting at a restaurant. Amazingly, the only facet of his life this doesn’t seem to apply is his love life ... thank goodness for me.

And now I’m back in reality... but something big could be brewing. Wish I could tell you all but I just can’t! Hopefully soon though...

9 comments:

boldly benny said...

Sounds like a rather fun (albeit freezing) weekend.

I once camped in Magaliesburg in May and let me tell you I WISHED I had bought my down duvet and fluffy boots so I think you know how to camp ;-)

I'm intrigued to know what is brewing!

AngelConradie said...

oooh - leave us hanging like that eh?!
i'm so g;ad you had a good weekend!

The Divine Miss M said...

Ah fantastic weekend! I'm off to do that but in heat in Sardinia for 10 days!

Are you sure that FD isn't my Jailbait? Those two are exactly the same I swear!

MidniteGem said...

I'm in the exact same position! I never thought that i would be so into a sport let alone climbing and the getting outdoors bit. But my bf has opened up this whole new world to me. And has shown me that I can do so much more then i thought I would ever do and the strength i have :) And it just makes me love him more. Plus I love seeing him in his element and feeling at peace on the rock!
Not sure i'll follow him up the really big mountains tho!

Sweets said...

i hate camping! you get a gold medal for trying ;)

Jam said...

@I was pretty well prepared... except I brought back home half of Harrismith stuck to my fluffy boots.

@angel - wish I could tell ya, but I just can't... and it could still turn out to be nothing.

@miss m - SO JEALOUS!!! The whole of summer I couldn't wait till winter came along so that it wouldn't be SO hot on the rock, but now that's it's cold I'm realising that cold fingers really don't help much either. Bring on the hot rock! And I guess all these climbing boys are the same.

@midnitegem - another climber - woohoo! FD wanted me to climb multipitch this past weekend, but there were people on the easy route so we couldn't... something so much scarier about being 100m up!

@sweets - It's growing on me - but definitely better in summer!

Lopz said...

That is so not fair - spill!

MidniteGem said...

OMG yeah - C is on at me about multipitch as well! he sent me all these pics of the lake district...damn those are high pitches! we'll see. It feels so weird to call myself i climber but so am...started this obsession together with Miss M

Tamara said...

Sounds like fun. Can't wait to hear what's brewing. Now I'll be compulsively checking your blog like 60 times a day!