Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Complex of Crazy

About two weeks ago, I was just about to go to bed when I heard a blood-curdling scream coming from an apartment below me. A woman’s voice was yelling “Call Security!!!!” I then heard the voice of a young child, and realised it was coming from the apartment next door to Crazy Man and Crazy Woman, where a man, his girlfriend and their three-year old little girl live.
The little girl was saying “Mommy, it’s okay”, while her mother continued to scream in complete terror. Living in Jozi – I automatically assumed that someone had broken into their home. After standing in my bedroom literally completely frozen for a few minutes, I ran to the intercom to call security, when I realised it had been disconnected recently while they installed a new system.

Completely helpless and shaking, I stood at the peephole by my front door, not knowing what on earth to do. I saw my neighbours coming out of their flat, walking down the stairs, and then come bolting back up the stairs and running back inside. By this time I was certain that someone had this family at gunpoint.

I then heard my neighbours come outside again and having recently befriended my dear old 80-year old neighbour who lives next door with her two adult children, I managed to pluck up the courage to open my door and find out what was going on. It turns out that the man living below has a habit of beating up his girlfriend.

I had never heard it before, but others had and this was clearly the worst it has ever been. Enough so, that the police were called and almost the entire complex was camping outside their front door to make sure he didn’t get away.

Eventually the police arrived and hauled him off.

Then, last week – I was happily chilling out at home, watching some television – when I started hearing blood curdling screams of the male variety, but this time coming from right next door. The 80-year old’s son was completely freaking out – throwing furniture around and shouting about killing his father in law. Now you need to understand, this man is a 30-something little tubby nebbish and at some point he yelled out “That Rhodesian f*** - I’ll kill him – I’ll show him how we do things in Africa!!!!” (At this point I pictured him thumping his chest triumphantly).

When the hell did I move into the complex of crazy?!?!?!

I’ve been left to draw two conclusions…

1) People were never meant to live so close to one another.
2) I’m better off alone.

8 comments:

lordwiggly said...

I don't understand why men feel the need to beat women. It is sick and it makes me want to kill the f*ckers. Living in a complex isn't easy especially when you've grown up (mostly) in a standalone house.

Anonymous said...

true. i once experienced some lady beat up her husband and cracked a balck label quart on his head. that'll learn him.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

complex living is difficult, on many occasions i have wanted to bump the children lightly with my car or run over the racist, sexist pig in number 10. but your complex gives a whole new meaning to difficult complex living....
i really hope the gf didnt go back to the beater, and if she did it was to break a quart on his head.

Jam said...

@Wiggles - I can’t understand it either. It’s weird, because it’s always been something that’s been restricted to the domain of television or hearsay for me, but actually hearing it happening is a different story altogether. Bone chilling.

@Urk – Welcome back! Was the bottle full or empty? I think I would have chosen a magnum of Haute Cabriere myself.

@Cuteness – She’s back and he’s back. And it’s made so much worse by the fact that they have a little girl together – who is the cutest thing ever.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

that upsets me. silly girl, she waiting for him to beat up the little girl?

he is an asshole, but she is weak. that just annoys me

Phlippy said...

That is pretty hectic. Very hectic.

Shame Mozi - not cool

Anonymous said...

well, i saw it as half full...

Anonymous said...

if it was HC Cahrd/Pinot Noir, it would always be empty though