Saturday, March 10, 2007

MsMozi in Paris

So I've returned from the City of Lights - a little confused and disorientated. I made half an attempt of keeping record of events as the unfolded - so here it is: MsMozi in Paris (uncensored)

Tuesday March 6, 2007

I love flying. I've been in the air for about three hours... I think, but kinda hard to say as I've already managed a cocktail of motion sickness pills + mini-bottle savignon blanc + mini bottle JC Le Roux + altitude. Excellent combination. I highly recommend it to anyone planning to jet off somewhere exotic in the near future.

So, as predicted, no attractive stranger sitting next to me - no wait, let me correct myself, no attractive male stranger sitting next to me. The French girl sitting next to me looks like Milla Jovovich - so it seems as though I've gotten someone elses karma. The man sitting in front of me was certainly meant to be next to me - every once in a while he lets out a turbulence-enducing snore.

The only complaint thus far is the absence of personal tv screens... seriously... what is that all about?! Shared screens are so apallingly 80s. When I sat down I started frantically trying to lift my armrest and tray table, expecting to find a hidden fold out screen. But alas - to no avail.

.... (This is where my plane-cocktail took effect and I passed out, bringing this entry to an end)

Thursday March 8, 2007

So in true genius mode, after breakfast at the hotel, I looked at the time on my cellphone and bolted out into a taxi to make it to the SA Tourism even in time. Forgetting, of course, that my cellphone was still set on South African time. Realised halfway to the River Seine that I was an hour too early - so now I sit, sipping a cafe au lait in a tabac - a good chance to catch up on my day yesterday.

Arrived at Charles de Gaulle and was met by mass confusion. Quite ironic as I met a South African woman at OR Tambo and her and I were laughing at the German tourists who couldn't work out what was potting at the airport. On the other side, it was her and I feeling the language barrier. "Quell amusement! J'aime du sport advonteur" was not going to get me through this one. Eventually made my way through, found my taxi and headed off to my hotel just off the Champs d'Elysee.

The 20 degree drop in temperature is definitely substantial, but aside from that, Paris is gorgeous. It is probably one of the best cities to travel alone to. I keep feeling as though I'm in a movie.

The lifestyle over here is probably as different as you can find to Jozi. Everyone is dressed in sleek black, walking around with purpose, iPod in ears, cigarette in mouth and cellphone clamped firmly to ear. I've smoked so many cigarettes that I've lost track. I love this city.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to hit the streets. Absolutely walked my ass off. Discovered that apparently I'm hot in Paris - got accosted by three different men within five minutes of leaving my hotel. And then men here are hot. Walked all the way down the Champs d'Elysee to the Louvre. Spent about an hour there and felt totally overwhelmed so I headed back to the streets.

By the end of the day I was completely exhausted. Couldn't fathom the thought of taking even one more step so I ordered room service and a movie and took to my super comfy Hilton bed.

I always tend to get homesick extremely quickly when I'm overseas, and my activities for today will be sure to bring it on even quicker than usual. The whole day is dedicated to the wonder of SA - rose-tinted glasses and all. SA Tourism is promoting the country to the French travel trade, so I'm preparing myself to get a little worked up. I know it sounds ridiculous, as this trip is so short, but I love SA so deeply that being away, even for a few days, can sometimes be hard for me. It's hard when home is heaven on earth.

Saturday March 10, 2007

Thursday ended up being really hectic. After over 24 hours of not being able to have a coherent conversation with someone, it started getting to me a little. When the event started, I heard a guy speaking with a South African accent and was so relieved that I practically pounced on him. Robbo will be his name for the purposes of my blog, and luckily he was just as recieved to be able to talk to someone. Robbo for the ad agency that has the SA Tourism account and we got along really well - especially since he reminded me a little of Mr Spencer.

I won't go into any detail on the event itself, for fear of losing my job - but it was... interesting.

My final hours in Paris were spent running (literally running) through Paris with Robbo being total tourists. We managed to fit in a trip to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, Grande Palais, Petit Palais, Bibliotek National, lunch and wine - all in about 3 hours.

So all round it was a great couple of days - and it's still good to be home. Felt completely disorientated for most of the day, but now starting to feel a little more normal. Quell amusement!

3 comments:

Phlippy said...

You have made me incredibly jealous and a little home sick for France...

Also, I hate you for sitting next to a hot woman on a plane! I always manage to sit next to the overly large man with a sweating problem... especially on long haul flights... SIGH

lordwiggly said...

Welcome back to heaven MsMoze! Glad u had fun - but was expecting sordid details of Menage-a-trois with all those steamy French men.

Jam said...

Phlipps – you forgot the snoring – that is also a very noticeable trend among my airline partners.

Wiggles – It’s actually amazing that I didn’t end up in a ménage-a-trois, especially considering my French vocabulary extends only to – “Voulez vous couchez avec moi se soir” and “J’aime du sport advonteur” (I love adventure sports).