Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Lions, Grace Kelly and the meaning of life over pizza

Friday kicked off with my first ever Pro 20 cricket experience. A couple of peeps from work, all dressed in the obligatory yellow (except for Mr Spencer) took a mosey down to Wanderers to enjoy the Lions vs Cobras in the Pro 20 final (Is that what the teams are called?). Great fun – got to do the Mexican wave, jump around a bit, perv over the photographer with binoculars – all good.

Saturday spent the day with the folks after drinks with Kdog were cancelled on account of the miff weather. Then headed off to Kay and Aye for wine and then onto The Knee, which was on very poor form on account of the cricket (definitely cricket overkill for one weekend). Called it a night after one very quick jam to Mika's Grace Kelly, and an SMS from Broken Arm at 10pm asking what my plans were for the evening… I mean honestly, 10pm!?!?! The boy is completely socially inept. The Ron reckons Broken Arm is an alien.

Sunday was spent having lunch and a good chat with Mr Spencer – followed by the greatest afternoon nap of all time. Dreamt I was in Switzerland.

Then headed off for Sunday night pizza with The Ron, his girlf and another couple. Ended up having a deep theological conversation about religion, the meaning of life and whether green hunting is ethical. Managed to ward off the Sunday blues completely. Fabulous.

Being the fifth wheel at dinner last night, I watched the two couples interacting and realised how much I want that. The cute exchanges, mingled with the light-hearted ripping off. Realised that there is no way in a million years I'd ever be able to reach that kind of comfort level with Broken Arm – you can't force that kind of connection. So basically, I know I should cut off all contact with him and forget about the possibility of the two of us ever working out in any way…

...Until of course I'm drunk at Manhattan again.

7 comments:

phillygirl said...

Hey :) I was at the Pro20 too ... except I was supporting the losing team, it's not as much fun ;)

Enjoyed The Ron's alien comment ... have you read Varen's alien theory?

And I can completely relate on the relationship bit ... well, not in my current state of chaos, but in general, you know?

Jam said...

phillygirl - welcome to the blog! I've only recently discovered yours but have been finding it most enjoyable! :)

Didn't you enjoy the glitter explosion at the end of the cricket?

phillygirl said...

I've been keeping up with yours on rss ;)

Yes, the glitter explosion was fab ... but we were in a box wa-ay on the other side of the field. But we *were* in a box - you've gotta weigh these things up, you know ;)

Phlippy said...

Hey - well, I uhhh... yes... nothing much to say. I agree with your take on "cannot force it if it's not there". Good post ;-)

Jam said...

phillygirl – We were right in the middle of the glitter explosion – but you win. Box = free booze.

phlips – lol! Thanks for the comment :)

Anonymous said...

any connection between philly girl and phillipy, current or present? would be quite sweet. they could call their kid phil.

Anonymous said...

i mean phlippy