Sunday, March 4, 2007

And just when I thought I understood it all…

So I’ve been a bit useless over the past week - but there have been some interesting developments that it’s finally time to blog about.

First of all… it’s time to confess… just when we all thought it was over, the Broken Arm saga continues… (Broken Arm of New Years and Sun City fame - By the way, his arm is no longer broken but the name is going to stick).

It all started weekend before last – I went over to The Ron’s place to check out his new pad – which is in the same apartment block so it looks almost identical to his old one – but I still had to make the obligatory “Wow! What a big change!” noises. We sat on his balcony smoking many cigarettes and drinking several MGDs.

At some point we got onto the subject of Broken Arm. We had never really discussed the whole scenario in much detail before, due to the weirdness of the situation with Broken Arm and I being his two closest friends… the conversation went something like this:

The Ron: “I think it’s actually a good thing that you and Broken Arm hooked up – there’s always been an attraction between the two of you, and now that you’ve gotten past the whole hooking up thing, the two of you could pursue a really good friendship. Although the two of you have never been extremely close, you’ve got about seven years of friendship behind you and that means a lot.”

Mozi: “Ummmm…. I dunno, the last time I saw Broken Arm at your place, during the lift ride to your flat I was properly contemplating breaking the glass and jumping out onto Grayston Drive just to escape the awkwardness.”

So that was the end of that – and I headed off to Jay’s farewell/birthday party.

Afterwards The Ron smsed me about joining them at Madhatters. I hadn’t been back since New Years and felt like a bit of a party, so off I went. Arrived to find the group consisted of The Ron, his girlfriend and Broken Arm. And we were right back to all the awkwardness.

So after about an hour, The Ron and his girlfriend disappeared, leaving Broken Arm and I to ourselves. Broken Arm was sitting there looking like someone had just murdered his grandmother – so I decided enough was enough. I was going to make an effort to make decent conversation with the boy. His demeanour changed instantly. At some point he turned to me and asked “Mozi, why do you always give me so much sh*t??” I realised he was right, and the combination of both of our defensiveness had been why things had always been so awkward between us since the New Year’s snog. And then suddenly we were having quite a good time, chatting away. A mix of good conversation with the usual insults we hurl at each other. He suggested we go get a drink – and at that moment The Ron arrived back to inform us that his girlfriend had damaged her toe and that they were leaving. So we started walking out and somehow Broken Arm ended up holding my hand.

We got outside, and Broken Arm whispered something to The Ron, who replied with an “Oh my God. You two!” Broken Arm was supposed to be leaving in their car, but he asked if I’d give him a ride home. So off we went – in what would have been my idea of pure hell two weeks ago – just Broken Arm and me - alone in my car. He suggested we go for a drink somewhere – so we drove around looking for an open establishment, but since it was now 1:30am, we had no luck. So we decided to head back to Broken Arm’s house for a final drink. We sat in his garden, chatting away. It was just so completely different to how it has been so far this year. I was actually enjoying myself.

Ended up heading home at around 3:30am – he walked me to my car and then said to me: “This was different…. we should really do this again.” And I found myself replying: “Definitely, I agree.” At which point Broken Arm said “Oh my god, you’re so full of sh*t – you don’t have to get sarcastic”. I told him I was actually being serious, and he said so was he. So we left it, with him repetitively stating that I must call him.

When I got home, realised I had deleted his number on my phone, and the only way to get it again was by asking The Ron, which was the last thing in the world I wanted to do…

The Ron: Hey Mozi
Mozi: Hey man… how things?
The Ron: Fine – what’s up?
Mozi: Ummmm nothing, just calling to see how you’re doing.
The Ron: Okaaay – I’m fine
Mozi: Good.
The Ron: Good.
(Silence)
Mozi: So… funny story! Ended up having a good chat with Broken Arm on Saturday night and I said I’d call him but I’ve deleted his number.
The Ron: I knew you wanted something.
Mozi: (Nervous laughter)
The Ron: By the way, I had the same conversation with Broken Arm about the fact that I feel the two of you should be good mates and I thought you’d be interested to know that he was a lot more receptive to the idea than you were.
Mozi: (More nervous laughter) K bye!

Crap. So now I was left wondering if I had gotten completely the wrong picture about what had been going on between myself and Broken Arm. Was this Broken Arm’s way of trying to get to know me better in the hopes of developing a friendship?! Decided I was going to sms him right away, keeping it seriously low key and casual.

Mozi’s SMS: Hey Broken Arm. It’s not a phonecall, but a sms will have to do. It was good chatting on Saturday night, probably the longest convo we’ve ever had. Have sweet dreams of N (ex-girlfriend of his that I know and always rip him off about).

Broken Arm’s SMS: Hi Mozi. I guess an sms will do. Was probably pushing my luck with a call anyway. Been thinking of N all day. Cheers Broken Arm.

So I decided not to respond and that was the end of that. Until this weekend. Back to the Madhatters…

Went with a group of friends – again featuring The Ron and Broken Arm. Had a good time, chatting and dancing away. Eventually started talking to Broken Arm – who asked why I hadn’t replied to his sms. I told him that I didn’t have to, since I made the initial contact. He said it didn’t really count because it was a “bullsh*t sms”. He left saying he’d call me this week… we’ll see what happens.

I think I may be starting to like this boy – particularly realised this after bumping into a work friend at Madhatters – whose eyes lit up as soon as she spotted Broken Arm. I suddenly saw her checking him out and quickly let her know that he was completely off limits.

Anyways! Enough about that! The ball is now in Broken Arm’s court – and I have made a pact with myself not to obsess about it. Which will be made easier by the second bit of news – MsMozi is off to Paris this week. My editor informed me last Wednesday night that I’ve been invited to Paris with SA Tourism for a marketing trip. Leaving on Tuesday – providing I get my visa in time – hold thumbs for me!

5 comments:

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

Hmmmmmmm sounds like there is alot more than friendship there my dear. ill be holding thumbs, but for a different reason.

Phlippy said...

Wow, Mozi, can't wait for this to unfold, holding thumbs... oh ait, Cuteness just said that.. damnit Cuteness! Why for a differnt reason cutes?

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

well holding thumbs not for the visa thing but rather for the moze/brokenarm scenario

Jam said...

Cuteness: Thanks for the thumb holding! Although I must admit, I reaaaally don’t want to get any expectations going with regard to Broken Arm – I’d rather just be pleasantly surprised if something materialises.

Phlips: Will keep you updated – and if I don’t, you can assume it’s bad news and I don’t want to talk about it :)

lordwiggly said...

Sometimes the love of your life is in front of your eyes and you just cant see it. Sometimes tho, there is someone standing in the way which explains why you cant see it in the first place.

Good luck Moze, at the very least you can make a good friend, we all need as many of those as we can get. And dont tell Champers about Paris, she'll be jealous!