Thursday is date night with Broken Arm. After yet another drunken Madhatter hook-up on Saturday night, Broken Arm took the initiative to sms and ask me to go bowling with him this week.
This morning I arrived at the office and updated my dear colleagues, Mr Spencer and The Luce, on the latest developments in my social life. It was at this point that I was informed of ‘THE RULES’…
The Rules – as stated by Mr Spencer and The Luce:
1) Always end the date first
2) Never initiate contact
3) Never return phone calls
4) Never accept a date without being given due notice
5) Never ever appear available at any time
Now, I partly agree with number 2 and number 4 – but I think, at the same time, there is something to be said for spontaneity and going with the flow. Some of the best dates of my life are the result of a last minute decision to meet up and have involved talking until the sun comes up.
I suppose it all comes down to the idea of ‘the chase’ – and I do completely agree that there’s something unnatural about the woman being the chaser rather than the chasee. But where should we draw the line? And is there a difference between playing by the rules and playing games?
Thoughts anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Ok Moze - firstly - good luck with broken arm. Secondly - slap your friends for their bullshit advice.
I am sorry, but those are the stupidest rules I have ever come across in my life. BAsically it is "How to play games 101". Please just be yourself, if you feel like phoning or smsing the person - then do it. If they cannot handle it, then it was not meant to be. Spontaneity is one of the greatest things out.
Before I go into this, please remember that there is a lt more behind my thoughts, just that this is not the forum with which to open them up owing to space and time.
Number 2 is totally retarded I am sorry. for the simple reason that both parties need to chase otherwise they will never appreciate what they have because it is too easy. Point 3 I cannot wrap my head around why on earth anyone would do that? How to push someone away in one easy step. I know the intention is to make them want it more, but trust me, it gets insanely irritating.
Point 5 basically makes the person feel as though they are not worth making time for and therefore pushes them away further.
Just be yourself and follow what you WANT to do. Nothing more, nothing less. Be true to yourself.
firstly... YAY!!!!!
secondly, please never listen to those 2 individuals EVER! They clearly havent dated since they were 14 and never will again if this is how they approach things. as phlips said this is simple game playing and u are way beyond that. Do what u feel is natural and what u feel is appropriate and what makes you comfortable.
if you make the guy chase too hard he will eventually get bored because he is getting nothing from you....
be yourself, as far as i can tell you are simply fantastic!
good luck!
@Phlips – That’s what I thought!! I think that a fundamental respect is in order – and the rules don’t really work along those lines. Also that old concept of do unto others…
I think with all those rules swimming around my head it would be almost impossible to actually enjoy myself on the date – second guessing every action. Also there eventually has to be a time when a person stops pretending – which could be a bit of a shock for the other party if they have gotten used to me be a certain way.
@Cuteness – Firstly – Indeed Yay!!!! Despite all the discussion pre-empting the sms, I still nearly fell off my chair when I received it.
Secondly – I agree, all advice must be taken with a pinch of salt and although they do have my best interests at heart, without them having ever met Broken Arm, I can’t take any of it too literally. Especially considering how long its taken Broken Arm and I to actually get to this point! More game playing would be so exhausting I’d need to go home and take a nap 5 minutes into the date!
Why do your workmates get cool names and I'm just K? Like the advice you're getting mate!
@Anon - You are clearly not proud of your nickname Kay, since you always sign on as anonymous. I will be more creative in the future. How about ‘Turnah’ or ‘Cuppa KT’ – We will discuss over American Idol tomorrow!
Plips and Infinite are right on the button. Im sick of playing games. If she likes me, she will phone me as many times as I phone her. "The Rules" just remind me of my committment phobic ex. Any woman who would disrespect me by applying those 5 'rules' is just not worth it.
Hey MsMoze whats happened to you girl???
Okay, not going to get into it that much, but if you follow those rules you will be the loniest person this side of cuba.
Listen to your gut, and if it doesn't work out, then so be it...
Post a Comment