Friday, September 28, 2007

Desperate times call for desperate measures - Part II

I inadvertently met another online dating buddy last night.

 

Until this point there had been no significant progress on the internet dating front. I’ve been chatting to a couple of guys on and off, including one who we will refer to as Electric.

 

Electric mentioned that he was going to the launch of the new Parlotones cd last night. With C and I being the devout Parlotones fans that we are, we had already booked our tickets for the event about three weeks ago. Electric and I made no concrete plans to meet, and I was pretty much hoping that I wouldn’t bump into him, because then I was going to have to explain the entire scenario to C and in my nicotine-deprived state, I don’t have patience for such conversations.

 

We arrived at Partyhouse (seriously…. why would they choose such a kak venue for a CD launch???) and there were hundreds of people. I breathed a sigh of relief realising the likeliness of bumping into and then recognising someone I’ve only seen one or two photos of was relatively minimal.

 

By the time we arrived, the venue was packed and C and I had a fantastic view of the tops of people’s heads and not much else. So when the band took a 15 minute break we dashed to the front to get closer to Khan, the talented front man. After a few minutes, a group of people moved in front of us and I looked up and immediately realised it was Electric. I waited for a look of recognition to cross his face… but nothing.

 

My reaction to this was to leap behind C so that she was blocking his view of me and I could avoid the situation. Of course, bearing in mind, that C had absolutely no idea what was going on, she began to find it a bit weird that I refused to budge from behind her, so I had to explain the whole scenario to her. Luckily a few minutes later, Electric and his friends moved further back and I forgot about the encounter and enjoyed the rest of the show.

 

On our way out, C and I noticed that The Parlotones had set up some tables and were autographing CDs and posters for a long queue of adoring supporters. C and I, in a bid to retain our non-groupie status carried on walking towards the exit when Electric suddenly appeared in front of us and asked… “Are you Mozi?” (except he used my actual name). I smiled, nodded and asked if he was waiting for an autograph. He said he was and offered to take my CD and get them to autograph it too. Afterwards, he gave me my CD back and we said our fairly awkward goodbyes.

 

Not thinking much of the situation, I logged back onto the dating site this morning to find a message from Electric, sent at 1am. Basically he said that he recognised me straight away but was too shy and nervous to come over and say hi. He said he eventually realised he had nothing to lose and plucked up the courage right before I walked out the door. He wants to meet up again.

 

I’m a little torn. Electric definitely isn’t the type of guy I’d usually be interested in. Nothing rock ‘n roll about him (other than his love of the Parlotones) – but he certainly seems to be decent, interesting, honest and a gentleman.

 

Is it time to move away from the old cliché that all girls love bad boys?

7 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

No no no no no!!! Stay away from bad boys!!!!

I'm trying to rid myself of that addiction at the moment :(

But nice boys are just so boring, that is my problem. Grrr

Anonymous said...

He might suprise you, he might not. Either way what's the worst that could happen?

Then again if you spread that idea around too much I'll never get a date again.

And well done on the remaining nicotine-deprived.

Jam said...

@Miss M - That's the dilemma - the unstable rollercoaster of the bad boy vs the stable comfort zone of the nice guy. I think I'm going to just keep having fun with the bad ones for now until it's out of my system :)

@Uncle Bunny - Welcome to my blog, great to have a self-proclaimed bad boy on here :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, I'm not a self-proclaimed bad boy though. In the words of someone who was using me to get out certain kinks they couldn't indulge with their then-boyfriend, I'm a good boy with a lot of evil potential.

Of course, I've let a lot of it out since then. Thanks for the welcome though.

lordwiggly said...

No no no! (To quote Miss M.) Give the poor oke a chance. Ok so he's shy and geeky and probably doesn't wear leather and drive a Harley. So what? You said he has some great qualities. Don't you owe it to yourself to find out a little more about him one-on-one? If, after the date you feel like you could never be with him then fine, you've at least made the effort to find out. But if you carry on chasing bad boys and ignoring the good ones that's just a recipe for disaster. Broaden your horizons and you may be pleasantly suprised. (I hate getting screwed over just because I'm not a bad boy.)

Anonymous said...

I think the whole good boy/bad boy thing boils down a lot more though. I have a nagging suspicion that the majority of nice boys are one of two things, lacking confidence, or boring. It would at least explain why girls seem to find the bad ones so much more appealing.

Jam said...

@Wiggles – Ok ok… but I’ll give him a chance… but just for the record, you should know that when I’m talking about bad boys, it has nothing to do with leather and Harleys… when I say rock ‘n roll I’m not talking about the ZZ Top variety.

@Uncle Bunny – I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there – the confidence issue is the key factor. Clearly, The fact that Electric took about three hours before plucking up the courage to say ‘Hi!’ is an indication that confidence is something he’s lacking, and it’s definitely what’s putting me off.