Monday, September 10, 2007

Salsa nights

So on Friday evening, an old friend, who I haven’t seen in about 10 years, invited me to join him and his mates at a new salsa club in Rosebank. I figured, why not? I mean… I’ve been for like three salsa lessons! In fact, I’d probably be so inspiringly co-ordinated on the dance floor that people would start forming a circle around me, clapping their hands in crazed enthusiasm like they do in the movies!

 

This wasn’t quite how things panned out…

 

A few minutes after I arrived, a suave-looking Latino hopped up onto a raised area, and announced that he’d go through a quick basic salsa lesson before they really kicked things off. He began doing the super easy, back – forward – together – step. I looked across at my mate, smirked and shook my head knowingly while mouthing – “how easy….” I stopped paying attention for approximately 30 seconds – and by the time the teacher shifted back into focus, him, as well as the entire crowd were twirling each other across the dance floor while simultaneously executing perfect dips along with grinding hip action.

 

It all went downhill from there. I was so bad that my mate wouldn’t even let me onto the dance floor – he dragged me off to a dark corner in the back of the club to practice. After a few hours, he decided it was time to let me loose on the dance floor – and within 10 seconds I had bashed into and tripped up half of the club’s clientele and I was dragged back into the dark corner.

 

But now I’m determined to become the salsa queen! The people in that club were unbelievably good – I felt like I had walked in on the party scene in Dirty Dancing. Hot hot hot…

 

So my new goal is to be able to go back to the salsa club with my head held high within the next three months!

1 comment:

The Divine Miss M said...

Hehe :)

I think it is a wonderful goal, I quite want to try it out too but haven't got anyone to go with :( Another reason to find a damn boyfriend!