Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A glimpse through a crack in the wall

First of all, thanks so much to all of you guys who left messages on yesterday's post.

I need to be careful about the time I choose to write this post – and right now I’m in a positive stage – which can completely unpredictably could swing to out of control depression in a few seconds time. I think it’s some weird kind of coping mechanism.

Things that are still okay:
  • Just in case I had any doubt ever, FD continues to prove himself to be the most incredible human being on the face of this earth.
  • Work is miraculously firing ahead
  • My family and friends are all healthy

Things that are not at all okay:

  • My father, who started his company almost 30 years ago, is going to go into liquidation over the next few days. My father, who has always been the bastion of success, the ultimate provider, the most generous man I’ve ever known – is going to be forced to shut the doors of what he’s spent his entire life working towards, as a result of the greedy, stupid mistakes of his business partner.
  • My father, who has always enjoyed his life to the full by heading to the bush (his favourite) every couple of weeks, cracking open bottles of beautiful vintage wine, and spoiling those he cares most about – will be forced to give up his car, cellphone and even medical aid as the bank takes over EVERYTHING he’s spent his life building up.
  • My father, at the age of 62, is going to have to sit in the office of self-important CEOs, begging for a job, after almost a lifetime of being his own boss.
  • My father is going to have sit down dozens of his loyal employees – some who have been with him for almost 30 years, and tell them they don’t have a job anymore.
  • And, of course, there’s a major possibility that the flat where I live, which is my father’s name, will be repossessed by the bank.

And there’s so much more...

What completely breaks my heart is what all of this is doing to my dad. That unscrupulous and devious acquaintances will be sniggering as they watch the demise of a good man. The best dad in the world.


Right now I’m feeling okay, but can almost tangibly feel the wall I’ve put up between my conscious self and my emotions – which crumbles down every couple of hours as the reality of what I have to face bludgeons its way through.

10 comments:

Sweets said...

MsMozi that is absolutely heartbreaking. I am so sorry... it's so unfair!

thinking of you and your dad
((hugs))

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry. You and your dad...in fact all of you are in my thoughts!

oxox

phillygirl said...

sheesh, that is hectic. but i'm glad you started with listing the good stuff (you can get a reader a little worried otherwise!).

My dad was in a similar situation last year. Although it wasn't his own company (which I'm sure makes a gigantic difference!) but, I'll tell you this uplifting story anyway :)

He got fired. Not retrenched, t her was no package, he was 3 years short of his pension, they gave him nothing that he didn't squeeze out of them in small-claims court.

He'd been working there for as long as I can remember. He, as a white male over 50, was affected quite badly emotionally. We were all very worried. He spent his days playing sudoko and watching dstv. I think he was petrified of starting to look for a job and having the door slammed in his face.

But after 6 months he did start looking. Reading over his CV was a lovely experience for me, who'd never known this man in his work-environment. He got the first job he interviewed for and started there in Jan08. He's even already had an increase because of how much his new boss appreciates his work.

I know it must be dreadful going thru this and nothing anyone can say will take that fear & anger & frustration away. But know that there are stories with happy endings out there and one of them could very well be yours ;)

Tamara said...

Oww. My heart aches for you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sending you many, many, many digital hugs.

boldly benny said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, I know I would be crushed if in your situation - dads are always our number 1 guys!
It sounds like you have a wonderful family and I know it sounds mad, but in times like these you draw in close and pull through. I've had some shitty things happen to my family but we've pulled through by supporting each other. Wishing you all tons of strength!

AngelConradie said...

oh no. oh no no no...
thats truly dreadful and my heart aches for your dad!

MidniteGem said...

That is aweful - sorry to read that this is happening to you and your family. I agree with benny mostly cause i've been through this myself. My parents company went under after some horrible back stabbing by large clients putting my parents in huge debt. I was 21 when it closed and I had to quit technikon and start working to support both of them. It def made us a tighter family unit and after 18 months both my mom and dad (in his 70's and white) had jobs.
Things are still a struggle but we have survived and I was able to finally let them stand on thier feet and I got to move to London and find a job in interior design (even tho I didnt finish my degree) and get paid well now.

It sounds like you have great support in your life esp with FD (i didnt have that so you are extremely lucky)

Stay strong for your dad and yourself. Best of luck

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Oh my God! I have no words...I am shocked to hear this and I am just truly, truly sorry!

No ONE deserves this! Thank God he has a family and a daughter like you!! Stay strong!

Jam said...

@sweets, sleepyjane, tamara and angel - thanks so much for all your thoughts.

@philly - reading about your similar experience really did make me feel better. It made me feel a lot more positive about the future work prospects for my dad once all of the legal stuff is through. And I had a quiet chuckle when I visited my folks on Wednesday night to find my dad doing a sudoko puzzle!

@benny - you're so right, there's something so much more crushing when something happens to dads. I guess it ties in with the fact that no matter how old we get, we never stop looking at them as the men who can do absolutely anything - and that they're totally untouchable by the things that worry other people!

@midnite gem - first of all, welcome to my blog, and sorry that it was to such a miserable post - I am honestly usually much more cheerful than this! Again, thanks for sharing your similar experience, it really does help to hear that other people have come through these type of things okay - and I'm super fortunate in the fact that I'm not going to have to support my folks like you did.

@blonde blogshell - Also, welcome to my blog! And again, sorry it was for such a pitiful post. Thanks for the kind support - it really does help.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.