I’m feeling a LOT more positive about things. I’ve had some good talks with my folks and now feel comfortable that 1) they have made contingency plans that will ensure that they’ll be okay financially for some time despite the imminent liquidation, 2) my dad will be able to find work again quite easily and 3) it’s highly improbable that I will lose my flat.
It’s going to be an intense couple of months – but my family (even my bro in Sydney) have pulled together so tightly that it’s made everything so much easier to swallow.
The weekend was really good – took a half day off from work on Friday afternoon and finally went to watch Sex and the City with my mom. I really enjoyed it, but also found it a little sad that the characters had all grown up so much and that the days of attending glittering and glamorous events, downing cocktails, and teetering home in ridiculous heels in the early hours of the morning were behind them.
Then FD and I headed out for dinner with some of his mates to Braza in Cedar Square. Really crap restaurant, but very cheap caparinhas – which ultimately resulted in us all heading off to Billy the Bums aka Fourways Meat Market. Had a lot of fun dancing around to cheesy tunes like What a Feeling from Flashdance and insisted on FD carrying me out on his back as I eventually felt the wrath of my heels.
Woke up to a hangover and a bouncy and eager FD on Saturday morning – ready to head off to Waterval Boven for a rock climbing weekend. After being dragged from the cocoon of my thick down duvet – we went down to the car to find a printed note under FD’s windscreen wiper from my dad saying “There’s a big bag of firewood and a bottle of red wine in front of MsMozi’s car – remember firelighters and corkscrew!!!” (Best dad in the world) We set straight off and were there and halfway up a rock face by lunch time. Had a lot of fun despite being munched by a million mosquitos at a crag aptly named ‘Malaria’ with climbs with names like ‘dead mosquito on my leg’ and ‘peaceful sleep’.
And yesterday, after a bit more climbing, we headed back to Jozi to watch Chris Rock at Carnival City. SO GOOD! If you guys missed out, I highly recommend you get a hold of it when it comes out on DVD, as they filmed the performance for an HBO special.
FD was a little out of it the whole of Sunday and I’m still not entirely sure why – but I’ll see how his mood progresses as the week goes on before worrying about it too much.

7 comments:
Sooo glad you are feeling better about things :) And that was so sweet of your dad, leaving you firewood etc. Glad you had a good weekend!
so glad that everything seems to be ok... phew!!!
i think you & FD may know my BIL and SIL, you climb at the same places they do... how weird is that!
Sounds like a fabulous weekend and a great way to free your mind. Amazing what a half day can do!
It is difficult seeing them all moving on in SATC but great to know they still look so fabulous in their 40s and 50s!
Awww...you saw Chris Rock!! I have two of his HBO Specials at home. He's hilarious.
I'm glad you're feeling better MsMozi! It's great that you have such a connected family which - no doubt eases the stress a little.
Good to hear everything is more positive! and so good to hear that even you bro is there for your parents... My 4 other siblings that are all in their 40's didnt even lift a finger to help me support mine at 21!! And they were living all over the world earning stronger currency ...anyways...
am SO jealous that you getting out climbing so much (have popped into you blog every now and then) I so need a car over here to get out on the real stuff!! :(
sounds like you had an awesome weekend, and i am SO glad it sounds like your folks will be okay!
Amazing how a good weekend can restore the soul. You're blessed to have such a cool dad, and he's blesed to have such supportive kids.
Post a Comment