Monday, January 29, 2007

…Ek is ‘n loslappie!

So this weekend I got to go to my first ever Afrikaans wedding. A girl from my office was getting married to her boyfriend of the past eight years, and invited a couple of peeps from my office to witness the event.

This was without doubt the strangest wedding I have ever been to for several reasons:

-Apparently, at Afrikaans weddings, shorts, khaki socks and veldskoene are perfectly acceptable attire.

-The dominee kept calling the groom the wrong name.

-A completely uncontrollable giggle attack at the beginning of the reception, during the prayer ‘vir die ouers’ – so weird! The DJ slipped a cd into the hifi, with this plinky plonky music and this breathy female ethereal voice saying the prayer for the parents -just cracked me up.

-N and I learning all the words to Kurt Darren’s “Loslappie”… you guys know it… “Ek wil nou huis toe gaan na mama toe….”

-Getting the bouquet chucked right at me and watching it land directly at my feet.

-Being subjected to nothing but movie soundtracks until the sokkie music started at 10pm (think Chariots of Fire, Wind beneath my wings, Can you feel the love tonight – but with pan flutes replacing all the vocals)

-Discovering that Afrikaans people can langarm to ANY song – seriously, anything!

It was all so weird that I'm even beginning to rethink my lifeplan of marrying an Afrikaans guitar-playing game ranger.


15 comments:

Phlippy said...

OMG ROFL! Very funny. Don't forget the SLK analogy! Unless of course that is your SLK... You had a wedding and I had a bachelors... I think mine was more fun though
:-)

Jam said...

My Afrikaans guitar-playing game ranger (who would handle all my Parktown Prawn woes) is my Land Rover Defender... A lot more rugged than a SLK, but still kinda pretty! :)

I dunno if the bachelors you went to could top the wedding... did you get to langarm with a dominee?

Phlippy said...

No but I watched Double R langarm with some lady - does that count? I suppose you can have your Marloboro man

Phlippy said...

oooh oooh ooh, two ofmy girl friends started a blog together - so funny, ive it a read when you've got a chance, http://pmscbs.blogspot.com/

Jam said...

Well at least there was some langarm in there somewhere - even at a bachelors... didn't realise strippers could sokkie :)

Double-teaming a blog - what a good plan. Will take a look shortly.

lordwiggly said...

Ag I can laaik to luff Kurt Darren, (Meisie meisie!) en Rooi Rok Bokkie is my gunsteling. After having experienced an Opel Monza GSi this weekend (yes, that was the ride of terror in my blog) I will be very happy just to find a car that can run on DiMethylEther instead of requiring engine additives.

Jam said...

lordwiggly - What kind of car do you reckon Kurt Darren would be? I'd go with a red Ford Bantum with dropped suspension.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

msmozi nice to know that one man doesnt scream like a little baby girl when they see a parktown prawn. hoped u werent dragged into too much langarming, once they got u out there, no escaping!!

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

msmozi nice to know that one man doesnt scream like a little baby girl when they see a parktown prawn. hoped u werent dragged into too much langarming, once they got u out there, no escaping!!

Phlippy said...

@ Cuteness - it was on my nuts, you expect me not to scream?!? Sulking now

lordwiggly said...

MsMozi right on the button! Add some tinted windows and a blue light unnerneaf and thats Kurt Darren to the tee!

Hee hee starting to pry now...but what car would you be? ;o)

Jam said...

lordwiggly - hmmmmm.... well I feel pretty close to my actual car, which is a blue renault megane hatch, but that car is all about the ass... so I'm not totally sure. How about you?

lordwiggly said...

Are you trying to say that you have a cute ass? ;o)

Ive just bought myself a new car. Its not quite me, but I'm sure I'll grow into it. Its a 2003 black BMW 320d sedan. Very 'grown up' sexy ;o)

Jam said...

lordwiggly - I can't be the judge of that, but I do know that it's definitely not a renault megane ass - any woman with those proportions wouldn't be able to walk upright.

Black BMW 320d sedan - totally grown up sexy... quite responsible and reliable, but with a naughty streak.

lordwiggly said...

Oh MsMozi you say all the right things! *blush profusely*

Guess it does fit me pretty well then. Gonna have 2 take a look at your rear end to make a proper assessment. And the car too ;o)