Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Test Drive

K is one of my dearest friends – she is one of those people who you can laugh with, cry with and most importantly… drink with. K will be turning 27 this year and is yet to have a serious relationship. One Saturday afternoon, we sat down to discuss how this could possibly be…

It was then that the ‘Test Drive Theory’ was born, and it goes a little something like this…

You may want an SLK… long for its sleek form, solid rear and unlimited endurance, but does this mean you should just wait, without any form of transport, until you can finally get that SLK? What happens if you always thought you wanted a SLK, but once you get it, you realise you may have been better off with a Golf GTI? This is where the value of test driving comes into the picture.

K wanted an SLK – and wouldn’t consider anything less. I convinced her, that she should give the Golf GTI, who had been begging for a date, a chance. So off she went, and had a fantastic time. Everything was looking great, and I felt I had really opened K’s mind up to a whole new world full of possibilities. That was until the Golf GTI took her out on Monday and told her that he didn’t want a serious relationship.

On Tuesday my inbox was flooded with emails from K asking – “If I can’t even get a Citi Golf (he was demoted after his behaviour) how on earth am I going to ever get a SLK?!?!

This got me thinking… Is it ever acceptable to drop your standards and just settle? Almost all my past relationships involved me overlooking some blatantly dodgy behaviour or compromising on what I really want. I’ve learnt a helluva lot out of it, but I’m beginning to think it’s time to stay transport-free until my SLK arrives.

7 comments:

Phlippy said...

Phew - ok my thoughts on this matter, hope they help [insert cracking knuckles noise here]. I am also turning 27 this year, and am also decidedly single. This for the simple reason that one should never settle. I do not believe in messing girls around so I am careful as to who I date. The difficulty comes in here. The more K wants it, the more it will allude her. She needs to be content with singledom and happy within herself before that energy that she needs will truly find her. Otherwise she will attract the wrong guys, and settle. Confidence is the greatest turn on for a guy [as I understand it is also for a girl]. The more confident K is, the better.

OK, hope my thoughts aren't shunned upon

Phlippy said...

oh, and I like the test drive analogy btw - a while ago on my other blog I blogged about a similar concept but related to IT industry. Might do it again

Jam said...

Agreed Phlippy, she was probably better off before I started handing out advice (reminds me of the post on your blog yesterday), because now her confidence has taken a knock.

But it shouldn’t be anything a girl’s night and a bottle of wine can’t fix.

Phlippy said...

I'm sure a girls night is just what she needs.

lordwiggly said...

Some people just need transportation. Any transportation. But if you use something that breaks down on you you trust all forms of transportation less and less until one day even if an SLK pulls up next to you, you will be content to walk off into the woods alone. We all need to realise when our SLK pulls up...even if it is in the disguise of a bashed-up old Volvo.

Kapish?

My biggest fear for one of my mates is that he walks into the woods all by himself. Even if he does have a big stick. And maybe your mate K may fall into that trap too.

As for me, I will be content with a Ferrari in Dodge clothing (excuse the pun ;o)...that is, if I can find one...

Jam said...

And just when I thought the brilliance of the transport analogy couldn't be taken any further... I'm impressed lordwiggly.

But it is starting to get quite confusing - are you saying that we should be focusing on the real nuts and bolts of the car instead of the exterior - an SLK engine in a beaten up Volvo?

lordwiggly said...

Aah MsMozi, your talent at the analogy opens up a new dimension. Truly, if one has a V12 SLK engine in an S60 body, the combination of value for money to looks would be incredible. A true win for any man.