Today I was torn between two subjects for my blog – both of equal importance and significance, so I decided to post both. For those in the mood for something serious, read this post – for the others, scroll down to the post below.
Yesterday I had a work lunch with a man who is probably Southern Africa’s most influential player in the tourism and conservation industries. He is world-renown for his charisma, passion and offbeat business manner, which catapulted him towards success.
For these reasons, I was left extremely unsettled when he began crying into his calamari salad, distraught at the senseless murder of David Rattray, who was arguably South Africa’s top historian and also a key tourism pioneer. What do we do when one of the main proponents of tourism into SA is on the verge of giving up hope?
For as long as I can remember I’ve remained optimistic – living in SA is not for the faint-hearted, but what it lacks, it makes up for in soul and warmth. But now I’m beginning to have my doubts.
Crime is a double-edged sword for our country. On one hand, poverty and unemployment is pushing many towards crime. On the other hand, SA could be getting about 50% more tourists than we are currently getting if there wasn’t a crime problem. 50% more tourists, is roughly 800 000 – and with the current statistics telling us that for every 8 tourists, 1 job is created, that leaves us with 100 000 potential jobs. Each job can support up to 10 people, which could mean up to 1 000 000 additional South Africans could be supported through tourism, on top of the millions who already are.
It seems as though David Rattray may, in his death, become the catalyst to drive change in SA. My office has already been bombarded with emails from overseas tour operators calling for a boycott of SA until government acknowledges the crime problem, becomes accountable for it, and makes a concerted effort to turn things around.
Will things change for the better… only time will tell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I want to comment sensibly on this one and my thoughts will take time to compile - but an incredibly interesting post however. It also makes me wonder, "Do you work for SA Tourism?" and then, "Have I met you?" hmmmm. Oh well
phlippy - nope, don't work for SA Tourism, although I do have to work with them every now and again because I write for a travel magazine.
I was despondent about this country not so long ago, but a weeks trip into one of the poorest provinces in SA has actually turned that around for me. Yes, the violent events of the past week are heart-stopping, you can read about one of the tragedies on my Blog. But I do believe that some of the politicians are starting to recognise the problem, albeit very slowly. I continue to hold thumbs and enjoy every second I can with friends and family, cos overseas may be 'violent crime free' but its also 'people who love you' free too.
I agree with Wiggly 100%. Oh OK, I have a friend who works for a travel magazine company as well, also dealing with SA Tourism quite often. Tiny tiny tiny world I tell you!
I think people are too pessimistic about the country, and yes, I agree that people in gov are starting to pay attention. It is however a slow process and propoganda and other influencing factors play a part. That needs to be elaborated on in far more depth to make sense, but at the same time should resonate with some people.
my two cents
lordwiggly - I think you've really hit the nail on the head. I love what you said about overseas being 'people who love you-free as well as crime-free'. And like you said, travelling is often the way you come to serious realisations about your home, whether you’re travelling overseas or in SA.
Sometimes the news just gets so overwhelming. But having said that, I could never imagine living anywhere else in the world. I guess sometimes things have to get really really bad before they get really good – and I’m hoping that SA is currently on the cusp of that.
phlippy – Weird! Maybe I know your friend – it’s a small industry.
People are definitely being more pessimistic than ever – and there is nothing worse than being caught in the middle of a SA mud-slinging match. This country is breathtakingly beautiful and full of the most dynamic people on the planet – I just hope government takes a major step soon, because the world is holding its breath.
Ummm...is it just us 3 commenting on your blog MsMozi? I must admit it has been a great week! We all seem to think on the same levels. Been thinking about having a "Blog Meet" for a while now, but dont know if people are scared to meet strange bloggers from the internet. Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think??? (what if nobody likes me and stops reading my Blog? O that would be the end I say!) ;o)
lordwiggly - the crazy part is that we probably already all know each other already without realising it. Jozi is such a small place.
I would say that we are linked to each other through people that we know. In the smallnicity of Joburg, I would reckon maximum 2 links. I wouldn't say that we have met before because with a population of 6 million or so, Jozi can be a pretty big place ;o)
True - but with all the mentions of the Colon, Dodgy Roger and Manhattans on the various blogs... we've probably at least spilt a drink on one another.
LoL - 99.99% percent chance we would recognise each other. I know I'd definitely recognise you big guy :-)
Unfortunately people in this country have been tought for so many years that life is cheap. The corruption is shocking and the crime is frightening. But for me, one the worst things is the lack of belief in this country and its people. The more people learn to love this country the more interest they will take in making it better for them. A little pride can go a long way!
For those of you who constantly bitch about SA, guess what? Its not compulsary to stay, and we dont want you here anyway...
Post a Comment