Thursday, February 1, 2007

Go Squad!!!

I have a job that involves going on a fair amount of free trips to check out new destinations and every once in a while I get to drag someone along with me. Italian ex-boyf and I had just broken up, so when the overnighter at the Cradle of Humankind popped up towards the end of last year, I got the chance to take the fabulous K with me.

Although we had a fantastic time there (may I add, massages, fireplace in the room, giant tub, outdoor showers) – the real defining moment happened on the way back to Jozi. We noticed how refreshed and rejuvenated we both felt after getting out of the crazy city and decided we had to try and do it more often. It was at that moment that The Squad (then known as the Adventure Squad) was born.

It is so easy to get caught in a rut living in Jozi. As much as I love this city – with it comes routine. The same restaurants, same bars, same clubs, same everything, week after week. With it comes a certain amount of comfort and dependability, but sometimes I just really feel like a break from the ordinary is necessary.

So with that goal in mind, K and I decided to get together a group of the most sensational people we knew and once a month we would find something to do that was exciting and out of the ordinary. A little later on, A joined the founding committee and we all realised that the opportunities for The Squad were endless. We were onto something big. Logos, t-shirts, movies, fines evenings and websites were all on the cards.

Then came the first activity – a tree top canopy tour. We filmed the whole experience from the car drive there, to an analysis on our tree swinging skills from our guide. It was an awesome day, and prompted us to plan the next activity as soon as possible.

So the next adventure is this weekend – it's not exactly super-adventurous in an extreme sport kinda way. But fuelled by the hilarity of watching the footage from the canopy tour – we decided on karaoke – which we will be filming and keeping for all time. Although not adrenaline-prompting, it'll still take more than a tad of courage to hop up on stage, in full awareness that your drunken vocal skills will be immortalised for all time.

I can’t wait!

4 comments:

Phlippy said...

The Knee is always a classy choice for Karaoke :-)

Jam said...

The Knee is a classy choice for anything - I mean what says class more than creme soda and cane in a sawn-off 2L bottle.

lordwiggly said...

Had the same kinda realisation after my year-end holiday, and ever since have been planning and doing stuff I normally just dont do. Has made this year supa-gut so far and its only one month down!

Have fun at the karaoke, John Deeres all round!!!

Jam said...

lordwiggly - isn't it amazing how many options there are in Jozi and its surrounds once you start looking? It almost feels like there isn't enough time to get through it all. I might just have to quit my job and dedicate myself full-time to The Squad.