Wednesday, February 14, 2007

All you need is love…

So it's Valentine's Day. And yes… I'm single. Am I feeling a little sorry for myself? You bet. But things could be a hell of a lot worse – so I'm not going to dwell on the negative…

Instead today, I'm going to take a little trip down memory lane – in remembrance of Valentine's past…

My first Valentine's memory was at the age of 11 and I had a crush on one of the boys at my school. At that age, liking a boy was something you kept very quiet about. Despite this, I decided to make the object of my affections a little anonymous Valentine's card. I brought it to school, and decided to confide in my best friend at the time. She found this hysterical and managed to find the card and proceeded to run around the school waving it around like a mad creature. I eventually managed to pry it away from grip and threw it away. She and I don't speak anymore.

My next Valentine's memory was at the age of 13. My best friend's brother made a card for me and left it in my post box. I wasn't expecting anything, so I never checked, until a week later when he came to visit and saw the card still sitting there, rained on and muddy. The poor kid felt quite rejected.

One of my old boyfriends bought me one of those giant human-sized teddy bears as a Valentine's Day gift. En route to my house, in peak hour traffic, his car broke down on Jan Smuts Avenue. He ended up sitting on the side of the road, with hordes of cars passing by, waiting for the AA… with the giant teddy bear plonked right next to him.

On a Valentine's Day, not so long ago, an old boyfriend organised for my mom to let him in at the crack of dawn before I woke up to head off to varsity. He tied a gazillion red balloons to every possible part of my car and left a bouquet of red roses on the front seat. Unfortunately, I was running late for varsity, so by the time I discovered his surprise I didn't have time to untie them and had to drive all the way there with red balloons trailing behind me in wind.

So here's to the day of luuuurve – I hope you all have a sensational one and a million more to follow!

3 comments:

lordwiggly said...

Haha Moze, these incidents just prove that no matter how good the intention, the gesture is usually lost in poor execution.

Phlippy said...

Brilliant - I love the red balloons!

Jam said...

lol wiggles - too true. I suppose at least I remember these gestures, rather than the obligatory box of chocolates presented to me on other Valentine's Days without any hiccups.