Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Miles away…

A couple of weeks ago over a Parkhurst lunch, A, J and K all started discussing plans to flee the country (or at least Joburg) in the not too distant future. As the only one at the table, with absolutely no plans to leave the country at all, I was quite put out.

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that not a single one of my dearest friends plans to stay in SA for much longer.

And the same goes for family – with my brother, sister-in-law and nephew living thousands of miles away in the land of the unfortunate accent, vegemite and Kylie Minogue.

I wonder if it’s the same everywhere else in the world, or if it’s particularly pronounced in SA, but it seems like I constantly have to bid farewell to the most beloved of friends as they head off for distant shores, where the sun rarely shines. Although the world keeps getting smaller and smaller, and emailing my far-away friends is a great way to kill time at work, nothing can quite replace having them a 10-minute drive away.

This was felt the most severely with the departure of one of my best friends, also known as The Fugitive, when she packed up and moved across to Hamburg, Germany about two years ago. This was the result of some time she spent in Germany for a dancing tournament where she met a German sailor, fell head over heels in love, and off she went to start a new life. Luckily, she’s been back to visit quite a few times, not always under good circumstances, but it’s made the transition a little easier for all of us that she left behind in SA.

I suppose the one bonus is a vast array of holiday destinations to choose from with free accommodation on offer… but I’d really prefer it if all my friends stopped moving to Europe and rather chose somewhere a little more sunny… maybe with an ocean-view – Zanzibar, Seychelles or Mozambique…. just putting some suggestions out there.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mozi not planning on leaving this lekker country - just like the idea of an extended holiday!

Jam said...

K - Good! Then you won't mind me sabotaging your green card lottery entry. Our six month trip around SA can be the extended holiday.

Anonymous said...

hehe - sneaky! Got me - can't blame me for falling for an American last year!

Phlippy said...

Difficult one with everyone wanting to leave, and more and more people around us are leaving. It is sad. Extended holiday is the way to go :-) If Mauritius is chosen, be sure to do the West side of the island [my family is from there] it has the sunsets and, in my opinion, nicer scenary. :-)

SaM-GiRL said...

your family is from mauritius?? so what the hell are you doing here then?

Jam said...

K - I already lost The Fugitive that way, I'm not losing another one to a foreigner. What's wrong with South African men??

Phlippy - Thanks for the tip, although from what I've heard you can't go too wrong with Mauritius (providing you avoid the city).

Phlippy said...

@ MsMozi - which city is the question? Port Louis is probably what people are refering to. It is an eye opener though.

@ Sam - My fanily moved here two generations ago, although I still have family there, I love SA too much

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

I think I could forgive someone who takes an extended holiday to some exotic place, but to move off to England or Aus, to me, is totally ridiculous. Dont get much better than here...

Jam said...

Phlippy - Yep, Port Louis, but I agree that people should check out the less glamorous parts of a country when they visit to get the full picture.

Cuteness - I agree 100% - especially since most people move to Aus or the UK and spent the entire time surrounded by South Africans.

lordwiggly said...

The political climate in South Africa has torn apart so many families - it saddens me to my very core ;o(