Thursday, February 8, 2007

Proudly South African

I am so in love with this country. Sometimes the feeling just overwhelms me. I’ve done a bit of travelling, seen a lot of Europe – but nothing has ever been remotely in the same league as SA. Here are a couple of things that make me wake up every morning with a smile on my face…

1. The bush – is there anything better than driving around in an open 4x4 taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the wild? Or having drinks by a roaring bonfire listening to the sounds of hyena and lion calling in the background

2. The beach – the vast expanse of wide and wild coastline in the Transkei, the rockpools packed full of starfish and sea anemones at Swartvlei, the turtle breeding grounds of Kosi Bay

3. The energy and spirit of Jozi, where in summer the vibe is almost palpable

4. The camaraderie of ordinary South Africans – where people are almost always willing to go the extra mile and lend a helping hand

5. Long conversations with petrol attendants about life, love, politics – whatever (oh yes – also the fact that we HAVE petrol attendants)

6. The South African ability to laugh at ourselves

7. ‘Ja Nee’, ‘As well’, ‘Now now’ and ‘Just now’ makes perfect sense to us

8. Chivalry isn’t dead

9. Biltong

10. The braai - no one else in the world manages it quite like we do. No one else understands that if the braai goes out three times before you manage to actually cook anything on it, just adds to the fun.

On that note, I’m actually leaving the country – MsMozi is off to Mozi tomorrow! At 3am, with wetsuit and weight-belt in tow, I will be heading off to the sunny shores of Ponta do Ouro for the weekend, to scuba dive with the whale sharks, drink 2M and eat fresh seafood.

4 comments:

Phlippy said...

Hey MOzi - I can't are with you more. Even though I am not South African by blood, I love this country with all my heart, for all the reasons noted and more. I am also so bloody jealous about you going to Mozi. The last time I went was also to Ponto do Ouro, absolutely love that place. It feeds the soul I tell you. Enjoy, be good, and play nice with the other children.

lordwiggly said...

Ah the subtle ironies of the Blog. "I love SA" vs "I love buggering off to Moz for the weekend". Truly our sub-saharan lifestyles can be spectacular!

Jam said...

Phlippy - I'm going to have to be on my best behaviour in Mozi - going with the big boss of my company and about 15 other work people.

Lordwiggly - Mozi, especially Ponto is practically the same as SA, except for the whole Portuguese thing. There are also probably more Mozambicans in SA than in Mozi.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

Enjoy your trip and even if you cant play too hard, play a little!