Wednesday evening, after a quick post-work glass or two of wine with work mates, I headed off home. As I drove through the familiar streets, I started thinking about what I’d make for dinner, what I’d watch on tv, who I’d phone for a chat – not realising that the universe had different plans in store for me.
I pulled into my road as the sun began to set, I noticed that while all the properties on my street were there in their usual illuminated state – in the place of my complex was a somewhat dark and shady area. As I got closer I realised… we had no power.
Not a problem. It’s probably just a switch that’s tripped. It’ll be back on in a couple of minutes. I let myself into my flat and light all the candles which until now had been purely for display. My apartment is illuminated with the amber glow of flickering candlelight and I think to myself, this is quite fun.
Then I sit.
The initial thrill of the flickering candlelight is starting to wane, and I stare wistfully at the remote control. Then I notice my cellphone – thankgod! Something to do! As I begin scrolling through my phonebook, my phone starts beeping at me – “Battery low”. Crap. I manage to fit in half a conversation before my phone dies.
I sit some more and listen to the sounds of Crazy Man and Crazy Woman downstairs, threatening to kill each other (I should be so lucky).
I sit and my mind begins to wander. I’ve always loved living on my own, but without all the distractions, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I start to imagine how awesomely romantic this power failure would be if I was sharing it with someone special. Even Crazy Man and Crazy Woman have each other.
And with that thought, I’ve packed an overnight bag, grabbed my keys and I’m out the door.
There’s nothing like a little darkness to show you the light.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
OK, first question... teehee... who did you go visit? Secondly, I know this feling very well, but over the years I have become used to the alone time and find it very theraputic. Strange but true. Not all the time... butonce in a long while is nice
phlippy - the truth is so boring (my folks) so for the sake of the blog, I reckon I should just make something up - like my imaginary Afrikaans guitar playing, game ranging, parktown prawn killing life partner ;)
LoL - good spanking thinky. Hope your weekend was wicked! I almost went to the Colony on Saturday, was so close, but passed out instead.
Post a Comment