Wednesday, October 3, 2007

*cringe*

So I’ve been out of home for about three and a half years now – living on my own in my pad in the heart of Sandton. I love my place because it’s completely and utterly mine. Everything in it belongs to me and its in the place that I want it to be.

 

Initially I decided I wasn’t going to hire someone to help me clean-up. When I first moved in I was a student and had all the time in the world on my hands to dust, vacuum, scrub and polish. Now that I’m working, cleaning is the last thing on my mind when I get home at the end of the day. As a result, my parents’ helper has been coming around once a week to help out. My mom comes through to my apartment and opens my place up for him.

 

So after work yesterday I gave my mom a call on my way home to find out if everything went fine with the cleaning up. Towards the end of the conversation she casually slipped in – “Oh – before I forget, I put some letters that came for you in the top drawer next to your bed”.

 

I froze.

 

Surely everyone knows, that no parent should ever, I repeat, EVER go into their daughter’s bedside drawer. The bedside drawer is home to all things that daughters would like to keep out of sight from their parents – in fact out of sight from anyone who isn’t in bed with them.

 

Contents included:

 

2 x condoms – so much worse than an unopened box of condoms, because now my mother knows that if I had a three pack – I’ve had sex at least once… which is one more time than I would like her to know about.

 

2 x Durex lubricant sachets which came with Cosmo/Marie Claire or some other chick mag

 

1 x sex dice, purchased at one of those lingerie/sex toy parties for girls, basically one dice has actions on it – eg. lick, massage etc and the other has body parts on it.

 

I have so many drawers in my apartment that she could have chosen instead – probably at least about 20 she could have chosen from, rather than the one she decided to go for.

 

The cringe factor is so high – it ranks right up there with another scenario that played out between my mother and myself earlier in the year…

 

My parents recently moved so there’s been an assortment of my stuff that ended up with them. Casually over lunch, a few months ago, and in front of my father, I might add, my mom chirps up with – “So who’s Mike?”

 

I carry on tucking into my meal and casually shrug – “I have no idea”

 

“Well he certainly seemed very happy with you!”

 

I look up – “What are you talking about??”

 

“Well I found a card from him that must have been attached to some flowers, saying – Dear MsMozi, thank you so much for an incredible night last night, Love Mike”.

 

At this point my father and I both nearly start choking.

 

By now, of course, I remember exactly who Mike is, and although the action between us was probably only worthy of a PG13 rating, he did sleep over for the night, and another night after that – but there is no way of explaining this to my parents.

 

I decided to stick to my guns…. “Hmmm…. Doesn’t ring a bell”.

 

Cringe!

8 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

MsMozi - do you not think that pretending you don't know who Mike is actually makes it worse?! It now looks like you've had many amazing nights where men send you flowers ;)

"Which one was Mike again?" hehehe

I totally agree with you though, if my mother ever went into my bedside cupboard we'd be having a serious problem and she probably wouldn't talk to me for a while because I think she still thinks her precious little girl is a virgin ;)

Anonymous said...

I remember when I had to move back in with my parents. It took me several trips to move everything, and on my second I discovered my mother had decided to be helpful and start unpacking for me. She stopped unpacking shortly after opening an unmarked box and finding certain items, and a photo album. We have never spoken of the event since.

Sweets said...

oh no girl....i'm cringing just at the thought of that ever happening!!! ofcourse me now being the parent i am convinced that they are not trying to be helpful...they were snooping...which makes it even worse...whahahahhaha

Jam said...

@Miss M - oh dear, you completely have a point there... then I'm glad she saw the condoms because she may think her daughters a slag... but a safe one at least :)

@uncle bunny - A photo album is much worse, it's one thing having your parents imagining it, but photographic evidence is taking it to a whole new level.

@sweetass - welcome to my blog! If she's snooping maybe I should up my game and start leaving more risque items in drawers for her to find... handcuffs... gay pornography... maybe it'll scare her into stopping :)

lordwiggly said...

At least she didn't find the Vibrator 65 Thousand in that kinky drawer of yours ;o)

Jam said...

Of course not wiggles - I keep that baby under lock & key in my velvet lined cabinet :)

Sweets said...

...and the vibrator 65 thousand is the old model...there is now a 75 thousand model... ;-)

Joy-Mari Cloete said...

You have a bedroom drawer??? Eeeek