Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sinking to new lows

At 8:30pm on the dot – as Grey’s Anatomy’s credits began to roll, my cellphone began to ring. My heart stopped. I threw the TV remote across the room (took me about 10 minutes to find it again). I looked down and saw a cellphone number I didn’t recognise… and thought to myself – it’s gotta be him.  

 

And then I just let it carry on ringing without picking it up. I honestly have no idea what came over me. I waited for the voicemail message to beep at me… and it didn’t.

 

So now I have no idea if it was or wasn’t him.

 

It probably was one of those wrong numbers – you know the type where you keep saying hello, and someone in a heavy accent on the other side keeps on responding with hello… over and over again.

 

But maybe, just maybe it was him.

 

My God – does this all sound as lame as I think it does?

4 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Oh that is the worst!!! I've done that before! But I call back and say "Hi I had a missed call from this number?" and then make up an excuse that I thought it was work - see in my line of work I always get random phonecalls at odd hours ;)

Honey - if he wants to talk he'll call you back :) If not then he was a total prat who wasn't worth it anyways!

phillygirl said...

Paha. I love those heady days of stomach-churning excitement when newly fascinated by someone :)

I agree, he'll call back. He was probably just too nervous himself to leave a voicemail :)

Jam said...

Miss M - I would have done that, except my phone does this little trick where it doesn't list the numbers of any missed calls that aren't already saved on my phone. Darn motorola.

But ya - if it was him, he wouldn't give up after 1 attempt.

Philly - I think half of the fascination is stemming from 'will he call / won't he call' but yes butterflies are fabulous.

Sweets said...

i'm with the others...he'll phone again...i wouldn't have been able to do what you did...good for you...!